Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gillette Single Ring 1904 patent razor

Default Gillette Single Ring 1904 patent razor

Can any of the Gillette experts tell me anything about this razor. It looks like a Gillette Single Ring Old type razor. Not sure what plating it is? seems like silver since it cleaned up pretty nice. It has a patent Nov15, 1904 and # of A353450 on the barrel

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg
    Last edited by sucuri; 04-03-2009 at 11:15 PM.

Well the date code places it's make in 1908. I'm not sure 100% about the plating on these myself however I do believe it is silver as the one i bought was kinda black tarnished silver that I then needed to polish. Mine is a 1905 but it looks the same all shined up.

thx

I have a Single Ring PAT NOV 15:04 with no H729396.
    Does any of this identify the year it was made?

I have seen the link to dating information but not clear if that makes mine 1906 or 1918.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    I have a Single Ring PAT NOV 15:04 with no H729396.
    Does any of this identify the year it was made?
    The H prefix would clearly place it as a 1918.

Images

How does it shave?
    Ah come on, Just ONE more shave!

Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ

Light, nimble, gives an excellent shave.

Rapidly growing to love these ancient Gillettes. Just bought my 6th Single Ring (another 1911, to add to a 1912, a 1910, another 1911 and one as yet unknown year- but it's coming in a case like a Double Ring, so I suspect it's a 1906!, plus another in a Travel Set, also unknown year), and have one Double. I suspect if/when I cut back on rotating, I'll settle in to using these the most.
    T Rick

Have any of you seen one of these old gillettes come in a metal travel case. The case has a hole for the razor and blades. I have not seen one of these cases before and just picked one up. The number on the razor starts with an A.

Quote Originally Posted by nonicks View Post
    Have any of you seen one of these old gillettes come in a metal travel case. The case has a hole for the razor and blades. I have not seen one of these cases before and just picked one up. The number on the razor starts with an A.
    Can you post a picture?
    It's much easier to ID from a picture than a description
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, at least one Single Ring model came in a metal case, the Model 460-B. But we can't make an ID without a photo.

Len

Here are some pics. It looks like the date is 1908 and the razor is in excellent condition.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0669.jpg   IMG_0666.jpg   IMG_0664.jpg  

That is a case made by the Posterity Company, circa about 1910. The Gillette did not come with that case, though it appears to be a nice set up.
    I am not certain whether these cases were sold with a different razor included, or if they were made to fit the Gillettes as an aftermarket item.
    Last edited by luvmysuper; 06-27-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for the info. It fits the razor perfectly so I assume it was made for these.

Free State of Jones (Google it, it's fun!)

I really like that case. Holds the razor, a pack of blades and looks like a used blade slot on the other side? And removable insert to empty? Looks like it anyway. Neat.

Free State of Jones (Google it, it's fun!)

Here are some pics. It looks like the date is 1908 and the razor is in excellent condition.

Jon
    Is the razor marked Gillette under the head? I've seen one of these that looks identical to the Gillette, including a serial number on the stem and a patent date on the handle but no Gillette markings anywhere on it.

It does not have gillette markings under the head but I am pretty sure that gillette developed the Gillette logo in 1908. So any gillette's before 1908 will not have the gillette marking and some of them in 1908 will. This razor does not have the markings but the number on the stem places it in 1908. Does anyone disagree??

It does not have gillette markings under the head but I am pretty sure that gillette developed the Gillette logo in 1908. So any gillette's before 1908 will not have the gillette marking and some of them in 1908 will. This razor does not have the markings but the number on the stem places it in 1908. Does anyone disagree??
    I have a 1906 with no Logo or Gillette markings.
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just picked up a Single Ring that has the Gillette logo under the head, but no markings otherwise I've found.

Same question: what's the circa on this?