What's new

How to store Norton waterstones?

I was just over on the RasurPur site and he sells Japanese and other waterstones, all with the recommendation to not store them wet -- damages the ceramic matrix or something and can render them useless. He does not carry Norton, so there is no advice regarding that brand. But I believe Nortons also have their grit particles bonded in some kind of matrix.

I have my Nortons in a Veritas Honing pond, under water. Thought it was a smart idea, and certainly saves a little time. Thought Nortons, being waterloving (like goldfish) would be happy there. Now Im not so sure, and I really don't want to buy a new set until I wear the ones I have completely out.

Experience? Advice? God, there are so many ways to go wrong (or at least get completely OCD) with this little hobby/passion!

I've heard that you shouldn't store them wet, too, because of the adhesive. My own got a little moldy once because I put it away damp, evidently (ICK! I used a little bleach and that fixed that), and since then I have left it on the dish rack before putting it away.

I've had to lap it every time I've used it, though. It seems to "dish out" BADLY. Maybe you're doing it right and I'm not. (??)

i bought my first norton 4 years ago.i did keep it in the water for a year.i had no problems.then i sold it.i hate norton because every other blade you have to wash it out.Recently i bought new set because i am doing a lot sharpening .it is in the small plastic holder with water.never had any problems so far.i think if it has been saturated with water you can keep it dry but before use put it in the water for 30 minutes.good luck

I think if you do a lot of honing its convenient to leave them in water with a few drops of bleach to prevent mold but for most folks who use them occasionally it probably better to just soak them 20 minutes or so before using. That's what I do. Actually the Norton 8K does not need to be soaked, just the 4K and lower grits.

I have heard of Norton Combo Stones coming apart in water but that was a defect.

I use my Nortons almost every day. I store them in sealed 2 quart pitchers. I have never had a problem with separation. I find it make them must easier to flatten too.

I keep a tupperware bread-loaf-shaped container full of water with two drops of dawn detergent in it. I change the water once a month. I have stored my porous stones in there for over 4 years. They all seem to work ok.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I use plastic shoeboxes from the dollar store. I must have about six of them. They're great for soaking or storing, and the shallow cover is great for soaking stones on a wood base.

Yeah, but your razors and knives are all so dull!

--dodges flying sharp metal--
What's your address?
proxy.php

:biggrin:

I keep a tupperware bread-loaf-shaped container full of water with two drops of dawn detergent in it. I change the water once a month. I have stored my porous stones in there for over 4 years. They all seem to work ok.

You word is final. I just received a Joe Chandler from Lynn's site, and Frank Warner is creating one for me. You are on my list, once my wife starts believing that going straight actually saves money.... That may take a couple of months.

Top Bottom