What's new

Hair on the back of your neck.

I have a bad problem with this.

About 8 or 9 months ago I was going to a place to get this waxed off, but then I moved in with someone and they would shave it with an electric shaver for me. This area gets hairy quick, it sucks. 3 days and it already needs to be shaved again. Now I'm living alone and not sure about paying to get it waxed anymore. I only get my hair cut every 3 weeks. I've tried shaving it myself with an electric but it's extremely difficult.

Any suggestions?

I shave my neckline with a DE. A little awkward at first, but it works just fine.

Easier that doing it with a straight! Although that works too.

I use a DE - my Merkur classic open comb.

What I suggest is to get a hand held mirror and hold it in front of you while standing with your back to a large bathroom mirror. You should be able to carefully shave the back of your neck with accuracy using this method. After 2 or 3 times you should have the hang of it to do it in under 5 minutes. Good luck! :biggrin1:

I have a bad problem with this.

About 8 or 9 months ago I was going to a place to get this waxed off, but then I moved in with someone and they would shave it with an electric shaver for me. This area gets hairy quick, it sucks. 3 days and it already needs to be shaved again. Now I'm living alone and not sure about paying to get it waxed anymore. I only get my hair cut every 3 weeks. I've tried shaving it myself with an electric but it's extremely difficult.

Any suggestions?

Get a loved one to trim it up or you could just nair it; which, I've never done but known other guys that have and they liked the results but I don't like the idea of chemicals.

I shave the back of my neck about once a week. I've tried doing it with a DE, but with much difficulty...I just couldn't seem to get the angle right.

Now, I use a Schick injector and a hand-held mirror, and have no problems. It does take a bit of coordination, but after a couple times you get used to it. When I first started, it took a few minutes. Now, I can do it in about 30 seconds after a shower.

I use a DE in one hand with the other holding a small mirror with my back towards the wall mirror. Also, I sometimes use King of Shaves gel so I can see easily where my hair-neck junction is back there! Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but you can easily adjust the angle of you razor etc. before starting the stroke etc. It's pretty easy for me now----and much smoother than my barber gets it!

I use a DE, but you need to be sure that you lather the area as you would your face. Nothing like getting razor burn on the back of your neck.

I have a mole on my neck, I'm too afraid I'll shave it off! I have my wife shave my neck down with clippers, it's close enough for me.

I hold one hand over the hairline and use clippers to cut up to my hand. Then I check with a mirror and see what I missed. You can probably use a DE, or Mach 3 too but the clippers work well enough for me (it's what non-fancy barbers use, and non-fancy barbers are good enough for me).
This is for hair on the back of the neck that ruins your hairline. If you have hair that is actually connecting with back hair (as in, if your back hair is creeping up too high), I would strongly recommend a few laser hair removal sessions. They're expensive, but hey, waxing adds up.
Good luck. I hate that hair!

I am a hairy guy naturally. I think it comes from werewolf blood in my ancestor's origins in Scandinavia. Well I have had always have hard time with hair on my neck and back. First I tried using an electric shaver, but couldn't reach everywhere. Then reached for my mach III to reach all around.

So I did some research.

Nair works, but you will need a shower brush(usually made with boar hair), with nair in the bristles and light massage it on your neck line. Wait ten minutes and rinse off, and you may need the brush again to lightly brush off the singed hair and excess nair. Then apply lotion. It can cause cream burn.

There is another product, Mangroomer, but I didn't buy it. I read all the reviews I could, but many users complained it doesn't cut that close.

So I went with Norelco Body Groomer 2nd generation(this one has two different heads, all black, and blades resharpen). Worked great shaving hair(especially shaving hair safely around your bean bag, starfish, and shaft), but couldn't reach all over my neck and back.

So the only thing I saw that was highly rated was the razorba. I had the same mach III, decided safe and easy with Razorba. Instead of the mach III, I realized the handle of my parker 22r fits perfectly in my razorba. Then I had back scrubber(small boar hair bristles) for a dollar from Wally World and few bottles of Kiss My Face. After a few tries already, it works pretty well. You really have to adjust your technique radically, go across the hairs and reach across your body. Few tips if you try this, the stud stamper for this product doesn't work well to make shave cream(probably designed for gel), DON"T apply pressure(it willl slip and slice your back open), use a two way mirror(your own mirror with mirror trick) and let the device glide.

I have few scars which will generate interesting stories with some lady and knife fights at PCB. Otherwise here is an ad for first generation bodygroomer from Phillips. You can watch the ad for second generation on amazon and the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbXwzqlqsU

I shave the back of my neck a few times a week--I have a mirror that I hang on the opposite wall for just this purpose that gives the perfect angle.

A few hints to make the process go smoothly:

1. Shave SEATED. Bring a chair or low stool into the bathroom. This makes the process considerably easier.

2. Figure out a way to hang the mirror. Don't hold mirror by hand.

3. Wet hot towel on back of neck for 30 sec, then apply shave soap with brush. Switch hands when changing sides.

4. Use a long handled DE, like a 38C, making light pulling strokes upward. Never across, as that is an excellent way to cut yourself. Again, switch hands halfway. No more than 2 passes--over time you will get more of the hair. Sit perfectly still while making your passes.

5. Resist the urge to try and take it to the hairline (for those that have hair :biggrin:) but stop just below.

I have yet to nick or cut myself following this method.

Last edited:
I hit my neck daily when I shave my head. I guess it's easier for those of us that have no hair line to worry about.
I suggest a mirror until you get the hang of it.

I know resurrecting old threads is sometimes frowned upon, but this one is worth it. Good suggestions.

I go a couple of weeks (sometimes three) between haircuts and the back of my neck gets pretty rough. I'm trying to commit to shaving it once every few days...I like the neat, clean look. I've been using my wife's Norelco but am going to give it a DE try. WTG with a Super Speed.

As usual, a forum search pays off. Similar threads are here and very informative.

If you use a DE use a DE twice a week. I have the same problem as you do but I use a straight. Every week I shave it and it lasts a very long time with a straight. The back of your neck has pretty thick skinned, smooth and is tough. It might sound hard to do using a straight but it is quite simple and I have never cut myself either which is more than I can say about my face.

Take Care,
Richard

Top Bottom