What's new

Buying an old used brush?

I have found out that an antique near me sells used old shave brushes. I am strongly tempted to get one to save money. Now, I have read on this forum that some here get new hair and re-knot them? How do you obtain the badger hair and re-knot it yourself? Is the hair expensive?

i just did this very thing. When you get your brush, you have to remove the existing knot. This can be tricky. I cut the bristles down, soaked in very hot water, then just started to chisel the epoxy out slowly.

Then you measure the diameter of the hole. Go to thegoldennib.com or blankityblanks and order up a knot. Get some epoxy and boom there ya go!

before
proxy.php

after
proxy.php

I have found out that an antique near me sells used old shave brushes. I am strongly tempted to get one to save money. Now, I have read on this forum that some here get new hair and re-knot them? How do you obtain the badger hair and re-knot it yourself? Is the hair expensive?

I'd only re-knot if necessary, if they are NOS and still work, just roll with it as is. If you do need a not have a look at the goldennib.com/

I've been looking at maybe re-knotting some brushes. Having never seen the inside (when the brush has been cut off) I'm wondering, will the part that needs to come out be distinguishable from the part that I shouldn't break? Also I was thinking that investing in a dremel tool might expedite the procedure of removing the old. I'm debating if I should just do my antique shop brush (which, while functional could probably use it) or maybe do a practice re-knot first on a cheap VDH brush from Walgreens

Top Bottom