What's new

Brylcreem

Brylcreem is awesome, my friend. I wish I could find some pictures but cbf right now. I bough it originally to go for the Chris Isaac look but as my hair is a little light and blonde it didn't really work that well. As my hair grew it inevitably turned very Gordon Gecko-ish from the movie Wall Street.

Its not the kind of thing you really want to leave in overnight and every night you might have to use shampoo and conditioner to remove it, especially if you use it all through your hair. Your hair doesn't harden either, like with gels, so it keeps your hair moist and healthy. The girls think it's sexy on the right guys, so if it suits you- use it.

Just remember that it stays wet and throughout the day you may have to keep a comb on you to keep the shape. Plus, don't use too much water when applying it. Dry your hair to moderately damp, get a glob the size of your thumb and rub it through your hair. Then wet and comb and comb it in. This is what I used to do anyway.

Hope this helped. My first post, but I used brylcreem for ages so at least my knowledge is useful somewhere. Got any more questions about it, just ask.

It's just an emulsion of mineral oil and water......your basic brilliantine. As a styling product it's ok if you want a wet or greasy look as opposed to a dry or natural look but don't be fooled into thinking it's good for your hair or scalp. NO styling product is that I have ever seen in 35 years in the barber and beauty industry.

I keep my hair buzzed short and a dab of Brylcreem after washing stops it from looking all fluffy and dry. Gives it a little shine and condition.

Brylcreem is too heavy however, should I allow my thin hair to grow long. It ends up looking dank and greasy.

It really is a case of 'less is more' with this product.

I use a drop the size of a dime after I shampoo just to condition my hair and scalp. I leaves a nice shine with a little hold and a great smell. This product takes a little experimenting to get it right. Do not use more than a "dab" lest you'll look like John Kerry or Ronald Reagan.

Great scent and perfect for the wet look. However, if you're looking to go more hold, I strongly recommend Royal Crown pomade.

Used it in the past. It is just OK in a sense that it gives your hair body and shine. Downside it makes your hair greasy and your pillow/case will need cleaning often.

Switched over to Pinaud Clubman Styling Gel. Very happy with the results.

David

You basically have a choice between brilliantines (oil and water) and gels (polymers and sugars). Back in the 60's this battle was fought out by Brylcream (aka "that greasy kid stuff" ) and Score gel (non greasy but gave you 'helmet hair' just like today's gels.)
Of course, you can also use a pomade (really greasy or waxy) or a more modern product like mousse or spray.

"Ointment" I don't know, but my favorites are Groom & Clean and Vitalis (hair tonic). Both of these are "greaseless." I use a little bit of both in the AM and look razor sharp all day.

Groom and Clean = hair gel. Also, if I am not mistaken it is not made anymore. The New Vitalis line is mousse and gel. The Vitalis tonic is mostly sd alcohol (drying) with propylene glycol -40 Butyl Ether added as a humectant to help overcome they drying effect of the alcohol. The styling hold comes from Dihydroabietyl Alcohol, which is a resin. It's basically an alcohol based setting lotion such as women use for roller sets and has been pretty much supercedd by the newer polymeric styling lotions that are far superior and less damaging.

Groom and Clean = hair gel. Also, if I am not mistaken it is not made anymore. The New Vitalis line is mousse and gel. The Vitalis tonic is mostly sd alcohol (drying) with propylene glycol -40 Butyl Ether added as a humectant to help overcome they drying effect of the alcohol. The styling hold comes from Dihydroabietyl Alcohol, which is a resin. It's basically an alcohol based setting lotion such as women use for roller sets and has been pretty much supercedd by the newer polymeric styling lotions that are far superior and less damaging.

Groom & Clean is a "gel" only in consistency, not performance. Modern hair gels leave your hair hard (which I don't like) after they dry down and then if your hair is touched at all this breaks up and your hair is left dry looking again. With Groom & Clean there is no "drying" of the product throughout the day. This means no hard hair and you can still recomb your hair and it doesn't look any different unlike what would happen if you recombed with a gel. I have also heard that Groom & Clean has been discontinued but it is still WIDELY available in my area (Cleveland) and I'm sure available elsewhere until supplies run out.

As for Vitalis, I have found it does not dry my hair in the least, on the contrary it does the opposite. The humectant must really do it's job well. I have also heard that Vitalis hair tonic has been discontinued but again is still widely available here locally.

Have tried brylcreem occasionally.. leaves a nice shine and is great for the side-parted styles like you see on the AMC series- "Madmen". Does not provide much hold, but will give you that slick wet look.

tried it, wanted to like it. Hard to hit that magic amount that styles your hair without making it greasy/wet looking. Not a fan of the smell. Looks like custard.

tried axe- didn't want to like it. Not greasy, leaves hair a bit stiff. Works better.

I just tried Dax washable hair wax. It seems minimally greasy. Tonight's shower will see if it is "washable" like it claims.

Groom & Clean is a "gel" only in consistency, not performance. Modern hair gels leave your hair hard (which I don't like) after they dry down and then if your hair is touched at all this breaks up and your hair is left dry looking again. y.

Not true, there are gels that do not dry hard and remain flexible. Image Fixative comes to mind. Been sold in better barbershops and salons since the 70's. Totally non greasy also.

Top Bottom