What's new

Military Style hair brush?

Check out Kent's ebay store. I have picked up a couple for right around your price range and have been pleased.

Wow, thanks for the link.

I've also been looking for a quality hair-brush at a reasonable price, and this looks like a winner. Might even pick up a few other items (comb and boar shave brush) at the same time, to split the shipping cost.

Are all of the items they offer on eBay factory seconds? It sure seems like it at those prices. I've seen Kent military brushes at C&E and other stores, but they were all going for about US$50 ... far more than I want to pay.

I got one of these brushes about a month ago. Supposedly they are seconds, but I can't find any flaws on mine. I really like mine.

The hair brushes are fine, but the boar brushes are less than usable. I wouldnt recommend the boar brush from there...

The hair brushes are fine, but the boar brushes are less than usable. I wouldnt recommend the boar brush from there...
Is that the one that comes with the shaving combo? I think it's the Kent soap, wooden dish, brush and Wilkinson Sword disposable razor.

The Kent Brushes are very nice, and cheap compared to other ones i've seen, but i had a falling out with PayPal so i can no longer use Ebay of any kind.

Can brushes of this quality be gotten somewhere else for similar prices? If not, can anyone suggest an alternate brush?

Good post. I have bough from Kent before and they were just fine. On another note, can anyone speak to the usability of these "military" brushes for any but the shortest hair cuts? My daughter bought a boar bristle brush awhile back. It has a handle and the bristles are about 3/4 inch long. Maybe shorter. I could not ge it through my hair. It just sort of skidded across the surface. At least it felt that way. My hair is about 1 to 1-1/2 inches long and for lack of a better description is sort of a layered/staggered cut sort of like you see on Tom Brady of the Pats. It is fine stranded but thick in density. Is this a good brush for this type of hair cut?

Regards, Todd

I think I saw a military hair brush on the SCS website under the accessories tab. I couldn't vouch for it as I've never used it but it looks like it's of good quality.

...can anyone speak to the usability of these "military" brushes for any but the shortest hair cuts? My daughter bought a boar bristle brush awhile back. It has a handle and the bristles are about 3/4 inch long. Maybe shorter. I could not ge it through my hair. It just sort of skidded across the surface...

I bought a boar bristle brush recently. When I got it home and got the plastic wrap off it I discovered it was very (VERY) soft. I found a --- slightly --- stiffer one at a different store. Now I use my wife's plastic bristle one to brush my hair into position, the '''stiff''' one to refine it and the soft one to polish it. The advert on the package says boars bristle (awful stiff word for such soft hair) is good for spreading the natural hair oils throughout your hair.

I found something on the web about how to use a boar bristle brush and it essentially says to use it only on untangled hair to spread the oils and put a shine in your hair without needing to use commercial hair products.

It was my dissatisfaction with these that led me to google for kits or products to make your own hair brush. The closest I got was this site (B&B). Now I want to also make shaving brushes as well.

Does anyone know where I can find a 'how-to' on making hair brushes, and where to get bristles? I thought, if I could find a source for long bristles (twice the finished length) I'd make a flat wooden sieve and pull tufts through the holes and then glue the 'sieve' to a proper handle. A little more woodworking involved than I've described, but even so it seems a bit of a klutzy way of doing things. It would be nicer to make the handle all one piece, bore the holes directly in it and glue in --little-- "knots" into the holes, if I can find a source of such knots.:confused:

Hi Kimfella. Since this thread was posted, I have bought two Kent military style hair brushes. MS2 is the model I think. I bought two since A; shipping was nearly the same from UK, and B; they were only about twenty dollars per brush from Kent's eBay web store. I really like them. They took a bit of getting used to. The first thing you figure out is that you shouldn't try to drive the bristles to the scalp. Buffing the brushes across your locks works hair the best. At least for me. These brushes groom your hair neatly for lack of a better description. I use them both at the same time. On each side of my scalp working the hair back and forth sideways then brush a part in it. I have a pretty good head of hair so I can do a few different things with it if I want. I do think these take a bit of getting used to. When I first tried them I was too aggressive with them and was constantly pulling them out of my hands. A lighter touch really does work. As to making brushes, I haven't any idea where you would find the information.

Regards, Todd

I think I saw a military hair brush on the SCS website under the accessories tab. I couldn't vouch for it as I've never used it but it looks like it's of good quality.

I still have them if you are interested. In our September newsletter all of our accessories are free CONUS shipping.
Sue

Top Bottom