What's new

Restoration Question...Epoxy vs. CA (finish for scales)

As I know all of you are a hell of alot better at restoration than I, I'm asking for the pro and cons of finishing some burl scales in either epoxy resin or a CA coat....or 20. Any tips, suggestions, guides are welcome. Much appreciated.

P.S. I'm looking for a glassy high shine finish so oil and and wax are out...

Now, I'd still consider myself a novice when it comes to restorations, but I've been toying around with wood finishing for quite a long time now. It's amazing how complex the process can be, depending upon what you choose to do.

I personally prefer the look of CA over epoxy...You can get the most amazing glass-like finish. But it takes a LOT of work, a lot of time, and there's definitely a learning curve. There are so many things that can go wrong...one bad move along the way and you have to start all over again. And, if you're not careful, overexposure to the fumes will make you sick (flu-like symptoms...really sketchy).

So, I think in a lot of ways it's quality of finish vs. ease of use. Although it takes some serious effort, I would go with CA every time. It's a labor of love.

Now, I'd still consider myself a novice when it comes to restorations, but I've been toying around with wood finishing for quite a long time now. It's amazing how complex the process can be, depending upon what you choose to do.

I personally prefer the look of CA over epoxy...You can get the most amazing glass-like finish. But it takes a LOT of work, a lot of time, and there's definitely a learning curve. There are so many things that can go wrong...one bad move along the way and you have to start all over again. And, if you're not careful, overexposure to the fumes will make you sick (flu-like symptoms...really sketchy).

So, I think in a lot of ways it's quality of finish vs. ease of use. Although it takes some serious effort, I would go with CA every time. It's a labor of love.

Beautiful, thanks for the advice, you got a brand you like to use?? I heard some good things about the "Hot Stuff Instant CA Glue" from Woodcraft...

Beautiful, thanks for the advice, you got a brand you like to use?? I heard some good things about the "Hot Stuff Instant CA Glue" from Woodcraft...

I've had the best results with the thin Hot Stuff (with the red label).

A couple of hints...
-I've found that a clean, dry index finger works best as an applicator. Doesn't do any harm and it peels off after it dries.
-Make sure to let the glue fully harden between coats--don't try to test it by sticking your finger on it!
-Whatever you do, don't get moisture on the glue when it's curing--it will turn white and ruin the finish.
-Make sure to wear a mask and do it in a well-ventilated area!

Good luck! I look forward to seeing the results!

I've had the best results with the thin Hot Stuff (with the red label).

A couple of hints...
-I've found that a clean, dry index finger works best as an applicator. Doesn't do any harm and it peels off after it dries.
-Make sure to let the glue fully harden between coats--don't try to test it by sticking your finger on it!
-Whatever you do, don't get moisture on the glue when it's curing--it will turn white and ruin the finish.
-Make sure to wear a mask and do it in a well-ventilated area!

Good luck! I look forward to seeing the results!

Thanks so much for the info and the glue recommendation, good thing you said red label as I almost bought the green label thick stuff. I will definitely post some pics when I get it done, when that will be, I have no idea but thanks again.

Top Bottom