What's new

My Mom just got back from India...got me some Gillette 7 O'Clocks!

A couple of the Super Platinums, and a few of the Permasharp Stainless. What should I expect? So far I have only used Merkur, Derby and Feather, of which my main is Feather.

Keep tryin what ya like n filter from there..GEM 1912 shavers are easier than any DE I have found if ya want some real advice ;-) (Dustin agrees)..Good Luck

Keep tryin what ya like n filter from there..GEM 1912 shavers are easier than any DE I have found if ya want some real advice ;-) (Dustin agrees)..Good Luck

jrcrow, as with anything in the hobby, YMMV. And for the record jrcrow, I have never said that SE is better than DE. I have only said that I like it more. That doesn't make it better, it just means that in my little bathroom in Central Texas, it is the best.

DL

Last edited:
The platinum (black) aren't very well-regarded here. At other forum people tend to like it more, comparing them to Feathers in terms of sharpeness

In my limited experience they can be a litlle rough in the first shaves. The next I'll use I might try to cork them.

I'm currently using my third blade. 18 shaves with it. The last 2 were amazing. Probably best ever, with any blade. For reference I can only get 3 shaves out of a Derby.

jrcrow, as with anything in the hobby, YMMV. And for the record jrcrow, I have never said that SE is better than DE. I have only said that I like it more. That doesn't make it better, it just means that in my little bathroom in Central Texas, it is the best.
DL

Due to the simple fact that it's a bathroom in TEXAS adds a great deal to the experience!:lol:

The 7 O'clock Yellow are in my top three and frequently get pushed to the top of my rotation. IMO these are great blades.

Dustin..Easier doesnt mean better n visa versa..whydid youswitchfrom DE to SE...you just came off saying you liked em better in your 1st PM to me..lemme know if you want your own PM back to you.

Dustin..Easier doesnt mean better n visa versa..whydid youswitchfrom DE to SE...you just came off saying you liked em better in your 1st PM to me..lemme know if you want your own PM back to you.

You PM'd me first and asked me my opinion about single edge. The best of my recollection (I have deleted the PMs) is that I told you that I get a better shave from SE and that I may never go back to DE. So yes I told you that I prefer SE to DE and I thought it was better, but that is MY opinion and i am not going out on a crusade to persuade anyone who is happy with DE to convert to SE. I just really don't care that much. I am happy with what I shave with, you are happy with what you shave with, and this forum has 15k other members who i am sure that at least half of them are happy with what they shave with. In short, because SE is better for me than DE, it doesn't mean it will be better for someone else.

jrcrow, as far as ease of use, for me there is no difference in DE and SE. I like heftier handles. i don't get that from my Gems or Ever-readys. In that aspect, I prefer the feel of my Merkurs and some vintage Gillettes.

But again: YMMV.

To the mods and cletus van damme: I apologize for hi-jacking this thread. I mean no disrespect. Please delete if you feel necessary.

DL

Top Bottom