What's new

Recommend My Next Razor

Well, I've been DE shaving for about 3 months now. My technique is good and consistent, I've figured out what blades work for my face, I know what pre-shave routine works for me, and I know what creams / soaps / aftershaves work for me as well.

My next variable to tweak is the actual razor itself.

What I'd like is some input on a platform that would work better for me - take me to the next level.

I'm getting great shaves, but I'd like to get BBS every time I shave. Right now I fall juuuuuust short of that daily.

So, allow me to describe my shaving approach, and then I covet your input as to what you think would work given my scenario.

Please limit your comments to what RAZOR you recommend as opposed to critiquing other aspects of my shaving routine. This is a controlled experiment and we're only changing one variable here :smile:

-----------------------------------------------------

First, let me describe my pre-shave routine:

1. Soak brush in warm water
  2. Fill hot water boiler with water and turn it on
  3. If using soap, put water on the soap to soften (I use Ogallala Bay Rum soaps - regular, sandalwood, or limes & peppercorn if I use soap.)
  4. Take hot shower for about 5 minutes
  5. Step out of shower and make lather
  6. Pour now-boiling water into shaving cup
  7. Get face good and wet then lather up the face
    Typical shaving creams: C.O. Bigelow (Proraso), T&H Trafalager
  8. Shave WTG, WTG, XTG, ATG with a Derby blade in my Parker 22R.
  9. Touchup
  10. Rinse face with warm water to remove soap
  11. Rinse face with cold water to close pores
  12. Dab-dry my face with a soft bath towel
  13. Immediately apply my AS or ASB
    Typical AS - Ogallala Buy Rum lines
    Typical ASB - C.O. Bigelow Grey bottled, scentless ASB or T&H Trafalger
  14. Allow face to semi-dry
  15. Apply cologne - never to shaved areas
  16. Bask in the glory of a good shave

Skin / hair characteristics

• My skin dries quickly
  • My hair is very straight and wiry - no curling anywhere
  • I have to get pretty aggressive on my neckline
  • Chin hair is thick. ATG is very hard in this area, so I rarely do this but would like to potentially enabled to do so with a new razor.
  • I can shave twice daily without too much irritation, but my neck does get razor burn sometimes when I shave the second time
  • My hair grows in pretty consistent patters,
  • Neck hair angles very sharply against my skin, making those hairs particularly hard to get. My cheeks, sideburns, mustache, and chin areas are usually pretty smooth - the neck is at a much sharper angle, so I tend to get a lot more aggressive with it.

For the purposes of my razor experiment, I will use the following controls:

• Blades - Derby - never used more than 3 times
  • Pre-Shave Oils / Balms - none
  • Above pre-shave routine
  • Creams - C.O. Bigelow (Proraso)
  • Exact same shaving routine
  • ASB - C.O. Bigelow grey bottled, scentless ASB
  • Same post-shave routine

So, what DE razor do you think would work well for me?

Merkur 38C or 34C depending on if you prefer a short handle or a long handle. The 38C with a Derby gives me a BBS every time without irritation.

I get the sense when I shave that I'd like something heavier than my Parker 22R. How do these razors weigh in comparison?

38C is my daily driver. It is quite heavy and I love the results. I play around occasionally with some vintage Techs and Rockets but they do not compare IMO to the results of the heavy 38C. As always, YMMV.

Quite frankly, there are so many different razors, each with its own shave characteristics, not only according to the razor but according to each user, that it is extremely difficult to recommend a razor for anyone. What you will get is a list of everyone's favorite razor and you will have to choose. Or just buy and try them all.

quite frankly, there are so many different razors, each with its own shave characteristics, not only according to the razor but according to each user, that it is extremely difficult to recommend a razor for anyone. What you will get is a list of everyone's favorite razor and you will have to choose. Or just buy and try them all.

+1

I began with a 22r myself, and after 6 months upgraded to a merkur 38C, and was amazed at the difference! the added weight helped tremendously, the razor was a more pleasurable to use compared to the 22r. it glides over the face more effortlessly, and seems to push through whiskers smoothly than the 22r.

I recently got a deal on a second hand merkur vision, and it too was a noticeable improvement, and the adjustability has been fun to tinker with. I still often use the 38c though!

Last edited:
If you can shave with the 22R, a very aggressive razor, why not try something with less blade exposure and see how you like it. A Merkur HD would make sense, for instance.

Thanks, guys - I anticipate coming down with razor fever. In fact, I'm beginning to feel a little flush already.... :smile:

Top Bottom