What's new

Flood fighting, sandbagging and a shut down town

Hey all,
I am from Fargo, ND and (as you may know) we are dealing with flood waters unprecedented in this area. Town is basically shutdown except for the essentials as we sit around and wait for the water to go away. We spent last week sandbagging and making dikes and levies, but that is largely done at this point... OK, so here is my question.

Given that town has been basically shutdown and we have competed the dikes, what would you all suggest that I do to keep busy? Keep in mind, we are on restricted water usage so shaving is not of really possible. :001_smile

I would use this time to read.......I do that anyway, but it becomes all the more alluring when that is almost all there is to do.

Check on the sand bags... just in case. Reading about all this you might want to check your plumbing periodically too. It sounds like you guys are prepared though, which beats the heck out of the other alternatives.

Reading is a +1. I'm guessing you're probably all on generator power, so anything dealing with electricity is probably pretty strictly rationed. If you can still get good phone service, this might be a good time to catch up with friends and family, plus you've got something to talk about. IDK, you could always get a board game going with the neighbors or something. Those can be fun.

First, let me say that all up there are in my thoughts and prayers.

Second, I agree with the above and say read. Find that something you've been meaning to read up on and just do it.

Having been through a couple big floods in Iowa, last year and in 93, I agree that reading is great if you are alone. If you are with family or friends though, just talking and telling stories is great. Both of those activities are somehow ten times as intimate in that kind of situation. I can remember doing that in 93, after losing power, and sitting in a candle-lit room with family, somehow the conversation gets started very organically and just flows. For instance, tell something the others don't know about you, a little story or something. Sounds kinda fruity, but what else are you gonna do? Of course, it won't last for days or weeks on end. Wish you all the best.

From what I heard on the radio this morning (I live about three hours north from you) you guys are supposed to get another foot of snow today, aren't you? I'd see if they need more volunteers just in case.

Failing that, just read or play some board games (online if you have to).

Top Bottom