What's new

Acquisitions March 30 - April 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just what the title says fellas. I was looking at the scores for the week thread and saw a very impressive first score by Badfish and it got me thinking about my first. So guy tickle your old memory banks and tell us about that first razor score, the razor that started it all.

In my case I wasn't even looking for a razor. I was out garage saling with my friend Ron and I come across a table with a bunch on it, about six or so which seemed like tons at the time, all Gillette's, some in groups of 2 and some single. Anyway Ron had recently done some reading on MSN and came across an article on wetshaving some folks may remember. Ron had just bought himself a DE, little cheap travel sucker on Amazon I think. I see them on the table and mention to him that he could have just waited and got one of those. He takes a look and mentions that there was one there that he thinks he read was one of Gillette's more favored razors and such. It's a nice little nickle plated razor tied to another with a blue plastic handle selling together for $4. I think for a few minutes and decide to pick them up. Low and behold my very first score.

(mind the crappy photos I had no idea how to shoot a razor at the time)
E2 Fatboy
proxy.php

Knack
proxy.php

Last edited:
the american button co razor from this sotd

still one of my favourites (though im on straights most of the time these days)

My first razor was a Feather Portable. It's what I learned to properly shave with. However, I consider my first score a minty D4 Fatboy.

I purchased a super speed on here and before it came in found an excellent condition H1 slim in an antique store by my wife's work. By the time the newbie appropriate SS arrived, I had been using the slim for a week. I never did get into using that SS and it was one of the first razors I sold off in my first attempt to de-clutter and de-RAD.

The greatness of Papasmurf hooked me up with a minty Slim in the case. Pretty soon after I started scoring SS's from local antique malls until I found my Fatboy ($8).

First one was a '49 SS off the bay. About an hour after it arrived in the mail, I found a '50 at a second-hand shop just down the street from my house.

This lot:

proxy.php

A Gillette ball-end Old Type, a British Gillette Tech w. alu handle, vintage boar brush w. bakelite handle and a blade sharpener.

Regards.

Jakob

My first "score" (which I'm going to say is the first time I got something great for way less than it should have been) was this past summer when I purchased a lot of five razors off eBay. In that lot were two Slims, a Flair Tip, a Blue Tip and a Tech (all of which were covered in grime and soap scum).

One of the Slims cleaned up well and would be considered in good condition in the BST forum - it was a Christmas gift to a friend. The other was my score. After cleaning it turned out to be in absolutely excellent shape (perfectly black numbers, only a few scratches on the head, etc.). A great find.

The Blue Tip ended up cleaning up well as is good shape. The Tech cleaned and polished up nicely and is in good shape (and will be given as another gift soon). The Flair Tip was beat up and rusted with little hope of recovery. I'm thinking of turning it into an ornament or something.

Either way, that whole lot was purchased for $24 so I'd say it was a good score. Which reminds me, I need to hit up the Bay again and see if I can't find another lot of beauties that just need some cleaning and polishing. If nothing else, they make for a fun project.

My first was a 48-49 superspeed. Paid 12 bucks.

Soon after DE RAD set in, and I grabbed a 59 Fatboy for 7 bucks :w00t: Cleaned up lovely, just a little fading of the numbers, but otherwise excellent (very few use scratches, no brassing) Turned into my Go-To razor immediately.

My first real score was a Fatboy with case and blades for $5 at an antique shop. When I got it home and cleaned it up, it was a G3, the year and quarter I was born!

A Merkur classic, T&H Ultimate Comfort, and a Vulfix brush from Classicshaving.com. I used that for about a week before buying a 61 Fatboy on the BST here and it is all a blur after that.

before i found B&B, i did a TON of scouring and learning at "best grooming tools" and picked up a merkur classic, proraso cream and asb, and then with my exceptionally poor thinking i cheaped out and didn't go with a badger brush.

after i found B&B it was a fairly large order from classic shaving and QED, then a lot of BST transactions...

The razor that started it all for me was my Merkur HD. That got me started on the DE as my razor of choice.

The RAD kicked in when I stumbled on a 1961 Fat Boy in a dusty, little antique shop. I had read about some guys here getting old razors and cleaning them up. On a whim I bought it and cleaned it up. It was in good, but not mint, condition but boy oh boy did it shave well.

Last edited:
Fun thread. I landed a cased Fatboy, a flare tip SS, and a black-handled SS at a PA flea market. Total price for the package: $10. Total cost of feeding RAD since then: substantially higher :tongue:

My first razor after finding B&B was a Merkur 38c w/Merkur blades. That led to a short-lived razor AD, which ultimately led to more aggressive, open-comb DEs, a Slant & Feather blades. And now I'm happy. :biggrin:

...which reminds me, anybody wanna buy a like-new 38c? :tongue_sm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom