What's new

How many DE shavers?

I've been curious about this for a while.

How many DE shavers would you estimate are in the US, Britain, Australia, etc?

Not total but in each nation.

At first I was going to ask how many in the US, but quickly remembered our brethren in other nations post her with regularity.

So I wonder how many odd balls, walking around with baby smooth shaves everyday, there are?

Last edited:
There are approximately 106 million men over the age of 20 in the US.

I would guess over all ages, 1 in 100 DE shave.

So that's 1,060,000 in the US.

This is a total guess.

Honestly without doing some sort of consumer poll its difficult to say.
Given my friends , Net gaming mates and family that ive spoken to about this hobby of mine which is about 50-60 people (give or take)

2 DE shave , 1 Straight shaves.

The 2 guys i know that DE - use cheep Boots / Wilkinson plastic DE's (mostly due to financial restraints against cart razors) with Gillette gel / foam...

The Straight guy used Gel , but now does things properly (after an hour chatting to me).

I have another 2 who are considering the switch. Rest think im insane.

I don't know, but I think it's increasing in Australia as I can't find what I'm after in the op shops, antique dealers etc. At once place today I was told I was the 4th person in the last fortnight asking about them. I missed out (by that much) on a 1930's aristocrat (in box) for $15AUD. "I WILL find that aristocrat 15 - or similar quality 'silver' comb DE razor...I WILL"

I honestly can't give any reliable number here. Living in the Netherlands all I know is one more DE shaver for sure and I know a few on this board...
My vendor of shaving goodies says the number is growing but I guess it is going from hardly anybody to maybe a few more.
Nevertheless it is growing!!

Probably less than 10% in North America. In Australia even less.

Sounds about right. Funny thing is the 2 largest supermarket chains here carry Wilkinson Sword DE Blades. There are way overpriced, but enough people must be buying them otherwise they would simple not stock them.

Well, as one of the members living in "etc" I figure there are probably a few thousand.

My question is how many British North American DE shavers there are in Australia.

I think the percentage is higher in Asia than anywhere else. It seems that people arent sold on multi-blade yet and they dont have a lot of money to spare so they stick with the most affordable. I think lions share of the DE in North America and Europe are old timers who never switched to multi blade or electric. Then theres the new web connected community. The problem is that the supply in the US is so scarce, especially for blades, that unless they are connected someone to the web community, new shavers will not likely go DE.

FWIW, on eBay there seems to be a lot of interest in used Gillette razors.

This speaks for a significant market.

Top Bottom