What's new

AoS freebie at Nordstrom

I don't know if they still have the special, but I picked up some soap and pre-shave oil at Nordstrom this weekend, and they gave me a Lavender scented "starter" kit (pre-shave oil, shave cream, cheapie badger brush and after-shave lotion) as a free gift (you needed to buy 2 AoS items to get the gift). The rep also gave me an extra little tube of unscented shave cream, because she felt bad that all she had left was the Lavender flavored starter kit, and I had asked for unscented.

Anyway, poke around your local department store (they all seem to carry AoS now), and maybe you can get them to give you a kit or at least a sample of the cream when you buy the soap, so you would get both for the price of one.

Enjoy!

PS -- They also included an AoS "4 Steps to a Perfect Shave" DVD in which the guy was shaving with -- dare I say it?!?! -- an AoS handle sporting an M3 cartridge.

Makes me wonder . . . . .

Last edited:
PS -- They also included an AoS "4 Steps to a Perfect Shave" DVD in which the guy was shaving with -- dare I say it?!?! -- an AoS handle sporting an M3 cartridge.

I have never understood that...Why do stores, such as AoS, C&E, CM, etc., all have this obsession with Mach 3s? They should try releasing a DE.

I have never understood that...Why do stores, such as AoS, C&E, CM, etc., all have this obsession with Mach 3s? They should try releasing a DE.

Add venerable ToBS to the list. Around Christmas, Bloomies was selling a (very nice) faux ivory M3 handle in a nice gift box with a tube of Sandalwood cream for just under $100. They blew them out after Christmas for under $50.

Of course I bought one. I'm still debating whether to keep it or give it as a gift.:blushing:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
the majority of men (and women) use a cartridge razor so why not make a product for them? it makes perfect business sense.

the majority of men (and women) use a cartridge razor so why not make a product for them? it makes perfect business sense.

I suspect my note of sarcasm may have been slightly lost. When I stated that AoS was advertising their perfect shaving program with an M3, I was suggesting not that it is wrong for them to do so but, rather, that we may all dismiss it too fast. I started another thread a month or so ago called "DE: Am I missing the point?" which generated a great deal of interest and encouragement. I have stuck to my guns, as I promised I would, and, I daresay, I have become quite a proficient DE shaver, I can do DFS with a Derby in my 38c in only 5 minutes and 2 passes, and I can do BBS with a Feather if I can devote about 10 minutes to a 2.5 to 3 minute shave.

Nevertheless, I still believe that the "Badger" part puts the "wet" in wetshaving (I have gotten a nice little SCAD going, much to my SWMBO's happiness, we can go to the mall and shop for skin products together (I got C>O Bigelow Baber ASB in B&BW, a store I had never previously entered on a voluntary basis), and that the Blade is a secondary part of the experience. For examples, in golf, I prefer to use old school forged blade irons becasue I can hit them with more control. I do not, however, continue to use persimmon woods, because the modern Titanium technology actually is better. Same for tennis. I prefer the feel and control I get from natural gut strings which virtually no one uses any more, but, even though I could play with it, I would not be competitive if I used an old wood frame instead of a newer frame made from graphite. The same goes for my music reproducion equipment. I still use LPs all the time, but I use them on a modern turntable, perfecting the old techonolgy never previosly conceived, and I listen through speakers that are as modern as modern can be (while still being mostly traditional). So after all is said and done, I am still not
100% convinced that, for me and my not very difficult beard, the DE part is anything more than an affectation -- a highly enjoyable affectation, and one which I can continue to pursue -- but for which there is no objective benefit, just the subjective one which, at this time is not as clear to me as it is as others.

Sorry if I waxed philosophical, but it's late Sunday night in NY and I have to go to work tomorrow. Maybe I'll move this to my old thread, in case anyone else is interested in seeing it. Maybe it's just the ambien talking . . . . ?

Enjoy!

Because they want to sell handles for a cartridge that a large percentage of shavers use? It is clearly the most popular cartridge.

I suspect my note of sarcasm may have been slightly lost. When I stated that AoS was advertising their perfect shaving program with an M3, I was suggesting not that it is wrong for them to do so but, rather, that we may all dismiss it too fast.

sarcasm is hard to do the internet(s). but i don't see why you can't get a good shave from a mach 3.

I suspect my note of sarcasm may have been slightly lost. When I stated that AoS was advertising their perfect shaving program with an M3, I was suggesting not that it is wrong for them to do so but, rather, that we may all dismiss it too fast. I started another thread a month or so ago called "DE: Am I missing the point?" which generated a great deal of interest and encouragement. I have stuck to my guns, as I promised I would, and, I daresay, I have become quite a proficient DE shaver, I can do DFS with a Derby in my 38c in only 5 minutes and 2 passes, and I can do BBS with a Feather if I can devote about 10 minutes to a 2.5 to 3 minute shave.

Nevertheless, I still believe that the "Badger" part puts the "wet" in wetshaving (I have gotten a nice little SCAD going, much to my SWMBO's happiness, we can go to the mall and shop for skin products together (I got C>O Bigelow Baber ASB in B&BW, a store I had never previously entered on a voluntary basis), and that the Blade is a secondary part of the experience. For examples, in golf, I prefer to use old school forged blade irons becasue I can hit them with more control. I do not, however, continue to use persimmon woods, because the modern Titanium technology actually is better. Same for tennis. I prefer the feel and control I get from natural gut strings which virtually no one uses any more, but, even though I could play with it, I would not be competitive if I used an old wood frame instead of a newer frame made from graphite. The same goes for my music reproducion equipment. I still use LPs all the time, but I use them on a modern turntable, perfecting the old techonolgy never previosly conceived, and I listen through speakers that are as modern as modern can be (while still being mostly traditional). So after all is said and done, I am still not
100% convinced that, for me and my not very difficult beard, the DE part is anything more than an affectation -- a highly enjoyable affectation, and one which I can continue to pursue -- but for which there is no objective benefit, just the subjective one which, at this time is not as clear to me as it is as others.

Sorry if I waxed philosophical, but it's late Sunday night in NY and I have to go to work tomorrow. Maybe I'll move this to my old thread, in case anyone else is interested in seeing it. Maybe it's just the ambien talking . . . . ?

Enjoy!

I agree somewhat. I came to DE shaving from MachIII shaving basically. But I used a brush and soap and always shaved after a shower. Worked OK, but never did seem to get my neck BBS. I am now able to get higher quality shaves with every one of my old Gillettes than I did with my M3 and they seem to last longer. I can get away with every other day if I feel like it, but my beard grows rather slow. I think the DE is more than an affectation, it is an extention of the prep and lather into a better, smoother, longer lasting shave.

They sell some safety razors at AOS, but they want waaayyyyy too much money for them. A progress for $65 and a Vision for $200? They must be kidding me. But they definately make a pretty penny off the handles that they make for the cartridge razors.

They sell some safety razors at AOS, but they want waaayyyyy too much money for them. A progress for $65 and a Vision for $200? They must be kidding me. But they definately make a pretty penny off the handles that they make for the cartridge razors.

I agree that their standard safety razors are WAY too expensive. However, if you can catch them on sale, they sell some really nice genuine horn DE razors with very attractive handles. I stopped in the Atlanta store over spring break, and they had one on sale that I almost bought. But, it was still pretty expensive on sale ($75, I think), and it was the standard Merkur open comb head. However, the handle was well-weighted, and really nice-looking.

Top Bottom