What's new

Wow.. that was... disappointing

My trick for three days plus is to work some conditioner into the beard in the shower first. You don't have to use a lot, just leave it there a minute before rinsing it out again. I guarantee your shave will take around half the effort if you use that trick.

This is a great tip for growth a few days or more. I do this as well.
Also, it sounds to me like your lather might need a little help. It may not be slick enough or your not working it under the whiskers enough.

Also, it sounds to me like your lather might need a little help. It may not be slick enough or your not working it under the whiskers enough.

I'm embarrassed to say exactly how many days growth I've successfully tested it on... :lol:

Ah, might as well get it out there, just want to ask that no one complains about my grooming habits... I've gone over a week between shaves and found that using a small amount of conditioner made it feel like the equivalent of two days. I don't make a habit of leaving it so long, but this is seriously the easiest way to get rid of it painlessly.

I'm embarrassed to say exactly how many days growth I've successfully tested it on... :lol:

Ah, might as well get it out there, just want to ask that no one complains about my grooming habits... I've gone over a week between shaves and found that using a small amount of conditioner made it feel like the equivalent of two days. I don't make a habit of leaving it so long, but this is seriously the easiest way to get rid of it painlessly.

What brand of conditioner do you recommend?:lol:

I always pictured you as a beard kind of guy chip!

I usually have what I call the underwear model beard, which is about a days worth of growth, since I shave at night. Depending on how busy life gets I occasionally fall somewhere between construction worker and lumberjack. Once my beard ends up somewhere between Amish and ZZ Top it gets pretty itchy and that's usually the point at which I need conditioner to soften it before shaving.

Actually the lather is better than it's ever been, but I didn't work it in as hard this morning trying to save my face....

I too want to know what conditioner to use for my beard.

Actually the lather is better than it's ever been, but I didn't work it in as hard this morning trying to save my face....

I too want to know what conditioner to use for my beard.

Whatever you have on hand. You can use the cheap stuff they give you in hotels if you want and it'll still give good results. The first time you do it it'll feel really weird on your face but don't worry, it does rinse off.

G

gone down south

Some days you just have a lousy shave, there's no explaining it.

My best shaves are after a couple of days growth, but I'd never attempt them on a blade 4x used. I always start with a new blade when I have more than a day or two's growth.

Ugh, this morning's shave was considerably better, but still not what I was expecting given how good things were going. I think it's my lather... I thought it was nicer, but really its too dang airy. I switched from a mug to a larger bowl recently and it's just not working for me... I like my sloppy/gloopy lather in a small cup that gets refined by face lathering better I guess..

Ugh, this morning's shave was considerably better, but still not what I was expecting given how good things were going. I think it's my lather... I thought it was nicer, but really its too dang airy. I switched from a mug to a larger bowl recently and it's just not working for me... I like my sloppy/gloopy lather in a small cup that gets refined by face lathering better I guess..

Sloppy/gloppy is the way to go, for sure!

So what razor did you use?. I have tough whiskers and with 2-3 days growth if I use a mild razor like a tech, or '48-'50 SS, for example, the first reduction pass is rough feeling; with each pass it gets better. If I use a more aggressive razor, especially my 1927 NEW open comb, or 39c slant, or Futur, it goes through the stubble smoothly and in 2 or 3 passes my face is BBS. I use Personnas in all my razors and only use a feather in my 1946 gold fat handled tech...so a more aggressive razor seems to be the answer to me.

when I DE shaved- it was Feather all the way. I usually only shave every third day, so I guess I'm used to it.

Now my Friodur straight can tackle any length of hair!!

I always fabulous shaves with 2-3 days of beard growth. I think it is because there is more whisker to soak up more water. But, if the whiskers get too long, out comes the Gillette New to align the whiskers in neat rows before they get mowed down.

Whatever you have on hand. You can use the cheap stuff they give you in hotels if you want and it'll still give good results.

You've never tried White Rain conditioner, have you? :tongue: Gawd, that stuff is awful; I've got a nearly full bottle that Mrs. Trius bought, she of the "I've never met a bargain I didn't like" school of shopping. :biggrin:

For a multi-day growth, I try, if possible to lather up before the hot towel, let it sit for as long as possible. You need a really hot towel for that.

And I do prefer other blades over the Derby, but that's just me. Feather is my weapon of choice, but the other day I used a Gillette Bleue Extra for a 2-day growth, and it did a great job. A light touch with a two WTG reduction passes, not just one, helps.

I always fabulous shaves with 2-3 days of beard growth. I think it is because there is more whisker to soak up more water. But, if the whiskers get too long, out comes the Gillette New to align the whiskers in neat rows before they get mowed down.

Yeah... I was wondering if an open comb wouldn't have solved my problem...

More towel prep, and a less airy lather would have been the best things I could have done... I guess I don't like completely bowl lathered lather...

As for the straight, in due time. I'm not opening that can of worms until I can adequately afford the strop and hone, and the razor too :p

Today I shaved about 4 days of growth with a Crystal on its 3rd shave (in my Futur). Not the best shave I've had by any means but certainly better than average.

Top Bottom