What's new

Pre-Shave Balm Question

Hey everyone. Please suggest some good pre-shave balms. I've come to really dislike oils because they are course and rough on the face. Does anyone know of any good water soluble pre-shave lotions that are smooth and easy on the face? I have, surprisingly, used moisturizing hair conditioner on my face before I lather up, and it works pretty well. So, suggestions please. Mike

p.s. I love Proraso, and am wondering about the effectiveness of its pre-post shave cream. Thanks!

p.s. I love Proraso, and am wondering about the effectiveness of its pre-post shave cream. Thanks!

The Proraso Pre/Post is the only product I would use as a preshave these days - it's great stuff. I've also grown to dislike oils, although the T&H oil is decent (but overpriced, IMO), as is Somersets (but I hate the smell), but i'd rather go without either of them.

I have, however, heard some good things about the Musgo glycerine bar but i've never tried it.

How do you use the Proraso Pre/Post? I am looking for a pre-shave product to spice up my pre-shave routine.

The Proraso Pre/Post is the only product I would use as a preshave these days - it's great stuff. I've also grown to dislike oils, although the T&H oil is decent (but overpriced, IMO), as is Somersets (but I hate the smell), but i'd rather go without either of them.

I have, however, heard some good things about the Musgo glycerine bar but i've never tried it.

Hey everyone. Please suggest some good pre-shave balms. I've come to really dislike oils because they are course and rough on the face. Does anyone know of any good water soluble pre-shave lotions that are smooth and easy on the face? I have, surprisingly, used moisturizing hair conditioner on my face before I lather up, and it works pretty well. So, suggestions please. Mike

I have started to apply a small amount of KMF Shave Cream at the end of a shower and leave in on until I make a lather to shave. Then I dab off with a hot towel and lather up.

The oils are awful IMHO and I started doing this after reading a post on here about shave cream actually being the best for prep. It has been working out really well so far and eliminates the smell and goop of those oils.

I haven't tried the Poraso pre/post but have only heard good things about it.

It's an oil, but have you tried "Shave Secret"?

It's cheap, you only use 3-5 drops, and it works great! (Check the reviews on this site)

I've used it without any cream or soap and still get an irritaion free bbs shave. I usually use it with soap for thee reasons: 1) I like the process of lathering and brushing on the soap 2) I like the smell of the soaps. 3) It's sometimes hard to tell where you've shaved with just the oil.

Anyway, I know you said not an oil, but to anyone that hasn't tried this stuff, it only costs a few dollars at walmart and it is truely amazing. IMHO.

Castle Forbes Pre-Shave.

It's water soluble and it works. I bought a partially-used bottle from a member here to try it out. I've been using it every day and I've found it to make a big difference in my shaves. Overall I've found them to be smoother & less irritating across the board. Not that they were so bad prior but I've definitely noticed a positive difference.

I am not easily seduced by products. But I will go on record as saying that I love the Proraso Pre-Post. I love this stuff. I LOVE this stuff. I put it on in the evenings after I wash my face and in the mornings as a pre-shave prep.

It cools wonderfully and softens the beard. What more can you ask for?!

I use Castle Forbes. I have tried them all I think. I always come back to this one.

Pricey, but it lasts a long time. I am still on my first bottle and I have used it for 9 months.

Top Bottom