What's new

The best coffee period!

I was visiting my family in ALbuquerque last month and my brother is friends with a coffee roaster that recently opened his own shop in Albuquerque and he had some of his coffee at his house that had been roasted the previous day.

This was hands down the best coffee I have ever drank - I drink coffee by the bucket every day and have all over the world. It was sooo smooth, rich and the flavor just was everywhere! I made it in a French Press - the only way to make great coffee in my opinion except for Espresso (I think the aeropress sucks by the way), and could not stop drinking it.:jump::a5:

My wife could not stop talking about it and she is a coffee snob. She had my brother ship us a pound every week since we got back.

his website is http://michaelthomascoffee.com/ His prices are great, especially considering the quality.

ALways in search to a great cup of coffee.:a50:

Nothing like fresh coffee. It can be an eye-opening experience. Amazingly, few people have tried coffee just a few days out the roaster. Oh well, we'll keep it for ourselves.

Nothing like fresh coffee. It can be an eye-opening experience. Amazingly, few people have tried coffee just a few days out the roaster. Oh well, we'll keep it for ourselves.

My local roaster actually advises what time period in which his beans are best. He also says he blends beans with different post-roast characteristics to optimize the various beans maturing together. Im not sure about the later but the coffee is simply spectacular.

Fresh roasted coffee from someone who is an expert at roasting is truly a wonderful experience - and one that most folks do not know about. It is only really at its peak for about 5 days after roasting.

THe stuff that has been sitting in the grocery store is probably months old:frown:

+1 Absolutely nothing better than freshly roasted and freshly ground coffee. Makes all the difference in the world!

At first, I was excited, because I have a new client near Santa Fe, and I usually like to match up retailers with roasters who are semi-close by (first assuming that they are quality roasters).

I have not tasted the coffee yet, but the website has me worried. "Panama" is a country, not a coffee.

So is "Costa Rica", and "Guatemala". They are countries, not coffees.

There is a whole lot of missing information. I'm also a bit put-off by the use of a percolator as a logo for the website.

And he may be a fantastic roaster, but your coffee can never get better than it was when received. That is, there is no such thing as "coffee alchemy" that can turn sub-par greens into great coffee. No amount of blending can overcome defects either.

...but again, I haven't tried it, but the website gives the vibes of companies I have seen time and time again.

So, I'll try it before saying anything concrete. The first impression is not a good one, is all.

M

modern man

Great another to add to the list.

I still haven't had any of DJ's. :frown:

Agreed on the french press, made coffee even more enjoyable for me but I still want to give the Areopress a shot.

At first, I was excited, because I have a new client near Santa Fe, and I usually like to match up retailers with roasters who are semi-close by (first assuming that they are quality roasters).

I have not tasted the coffee yet, but the website has me worried. "Panama" is a country, not a coffee.

So is "Costa Rica", and "Guatemala". They are countries, not coffees.

There is a whole lot of missing information. I'm also a bit put-off by the use of a percolator as a logo for the website.

And he may be a fantastic roaster, but your coffee can never get better than it was when received. That is, there is no such thing as "coffee alchemy" that can turn sub-par greens into great coffee. No amount of blending can overcome defects either.

...but again, I haven't tried it, but the website gives the vibes of companies I have seen time and time again.

So, I'll try it before saying anything concrete. The first impression is not a good one, is all.

I am not interested in getting into a battle and I am certainly not defending him but I went back and looked at his post and do not see what you are talking about. His pot is not a percolator but on old-fashioned coffee maker, typical of those used on the Frontier.

He named is coffees after countries, presumably where the beans came from - I did not see where he does not understand that Panama, etc. are not countries. Lots of companies use the host country name for the coffee itself, so nothing surprising there.

What information is missing is am not sure what you mean and this guy certainly does not sport the most sophisticated website, I will grant you that.

I may not have seen what you are referring to so so sorry if I miss what you saw.

My favorite anyway is the Ethopia Yirgacheffe and the Sumatra is awesome.

I am not interested in getting into a battle and I am certainly not defending him but I went back and looked at his post and do not see what you are talking about. His pot is not a percolator but on old-fashioned coffee maker, typical of those used on the Frontier.

He named is coffees after countries, presumably where the beans came from - I did not see where he does not understand that Panama, etc. are not countries. Lots of companies use the host country name for the coffee itself, so nothing surprising there.

What information is missing is am not sure what you mean and this guy certainly does not sport the most sophisticated website, I will grant you that.

I may not have seen what you are referring to so so sorry if I miss what you saw.

My favorite anyway is the Ethopia Yirgacheffe and the Sumatra is awesome.

Are you suggesting that the linked place is not Intelligentsia Coffee or Stumptown? I would bet not...few are. But putting menu faux pas aside, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or a coffee by its web site.

Some of the best coffees I have had have come from places you might not expect to find great coffee. My local roaster for one...Coffee Labs roasters is a hole in the wall in a small suburban town with a Labrador retriever as a logo. You walk in the shop and there is dog paraphernalia all over. Hmmm, you say to yourself, what is this all about. Then when you ask for a shot and check out the La Marzocco being handled expertly you start to come around. Then when you ask the proprietor, who doesnt recognize you since its your first time in the shop, for a pound of espresso beans to take home and he asks you first "what do you like about espresso?" You know you are in for something special.

The same holds true for Gorilla Coffee in Park Slope Brooklyn, where you find great coffee amongst trendy city dwellers in one of the trendiest neighborhoods in the city, and in fact on one of the trendiest streets! Heck, Jet Fuel coffee on Parliment St. in Toronto would turn you off by the name...great coffee, great shop.

I do believe I only mentioned that those were my first impressions, and that I would try the coffee before making up my mind on it.

One does not need to be a coffee roasting megalith to give the impression and front of being quality focused. The website does not do that.

That is all.

Top Bottom