What's new

Teavana is Killing Me!

Is there an on-line store that would be a suitable alternative for Teavana? I I love their tea, but the price of Teavana is putting me in the poor-house.

Specifically, I'm looking for a reasonable alternative to their Green Tea Heaven product.

From Teavana's website...

"A lavishly aromatic blend of Sencha green tea with strawberry, raspberry, rhubarb, and red currants. By adding a fruity sweetness to the naturally good Sencha, this tea becomes exceptional. You'll enjoy every cup!"

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Is there an on-line store that would be a suitable alternative for Teavana? I I love their tea, but the price of Teavana is putting me in the poor-house.

Specifically, I'm looking for a reasonable alternative to their Green Tea Heaven product.

"A lavishly aromatic blend of Sencha green tea with strawberry, raspberry, rhubarb, and red currants. By adding a fruity sweetness to the naturally good Sencha, this tea becomes exceptional. You'll enjoy every cup!"

Thanks for your help.

http://www.uptontea.com

Their tea imho is fresher, taste better, a lot cheaper, and has more variety.

They may have something similar to that.

I just checked out teavana's website. There prices do seem a bit high, but not crazy. Are you buying it at the store made for you, or loose? $20 for 8ozs isn't that terrible, IMHO. I think they may be a few dollars more on most things because of the name. I'm not sure though if you can really save that much and still be satisfied.

I think they are a bit high also.

Example

Teavana Upton
Jasmine Pearls 113 grams/ 4 ounces about $24

Upton tea
Jasmine Pearls 125 grams / 4.4 ounces about $18.80

Teavana
Morrocan mint green tea 113 grams/4 ounces $9

Upton
Morrocan mint green tea 125g/4.4ounces $5.40

Teavana
Sencha 113 grams/4 ounces $ 9.60

Upton
Sencha 125g/4.4 ounces $ 6.80

Teavana
Gunpowder 113 grams/4 ounces $ 9

Upton
Gunpowder 125g/4.4 ounces $ 6.80

Not night and day but cheaper and imho better tasting.

It is kind of like Starbucks and coffee. You can spend $3-4 more on coffee beans at starbucks but can probably get fresher and better tasting beans somewhere else cheaper. Unless you like the burnt taste of Starbuck's roasts :)

Last edited:
Recently have been using Adagio. quick service, reasonable price, nice tins. Blacks though so can't speak of green.

Also found that Tea Geschwendner has very high quality and service if a little more expensive.

Check the sticky on shopping links at the top of this forum. All of the links were submitted by users here. There are better and cheaper places than Teavana.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The internet is a godsend for tea lovers.

I still can't fathom why anyone would want to drink a flavored tea.

+1 On UptonTea. 95% of the tea I buy is from Upton. I've always had bad experiences with the Teavana stores, so I tend to shy away from their products.

I guess whatever floats your boat. I like unflavored oolong tea, English breakfast tea, Assam, and different unflavored green tea. The only flavored teas i like is Morrocan mint, and Jasmine green tea.

On a somewhat related note, Teavana and Republic of Tea both offer a product with roasted mate and other stuff that I like a lot. It's called "Mate Vana" or "Mate Latte" depending on where the purchase is made. Anyone know of a less expensive vendor than those two for this?

On a somewhat related note, Teavana and Republic of Tea both offer a product with roasted mate and other stuff that I like a lot. It's called "Mate Vana" or "Mate Latte" depending on where the purchase is made. Anyone know of a less expensive vendor than those two for this?

Mate Vana I think has a caffeine like stimulant and is what they call a "coffee lovers" tea.

Try www.ma-tea.com

They sell yerba mate tea. I know the Mate Vana is a flavored Mate tea I believe.

I think that Teavana is capitalizing on the American palate. Like Starbucks, they figured out that high prices and lots of flavoring will draw in consumers already accustomed to aggressively sweetened/flavored products. Republic of Tea--already overpriced--is a cheaper alternative and you can get it just about anywhere. Stores like Whole Foods also offer alternatives.

On the other hand, I hate to be a tea snob. I like Earl Gray too, and it's certainly a flavored tea. I've also had Russian tea flavored with jam that was pretty great. But as far as I'm concerned, there are so many varieties available that I'm happy with tea flavored tea.

Having said that, Teavana has some pretty cool teapots and cups.

I enjoy both flavored and unflavored. Green Tea Heaven is an appropriate name for this particular blend. It's a flavor explosion.

T

toga98

Thanks for your help.
Here's a list of a couple dozen tea sites: http://delicious.com/toga98/tea+shopping

I've used uptontea.com, thesimpleleaf.com, specialteas.com, teaspring.com, yunnan sourcing, and jingteashop.com and have had good experiences with these shops but their senchas might not be up to par with shops specializing in Japanese greens and some I listed don't have Japanese greens at all. However, if you are looking for a flavored green then you probably aren't looking to spend for top grade sencha in which case uptons, specialteas, or dragonwater.com, might have something that you'd like as well as some of the other sites in the list.

I feel fortunate that I have a couple of local tea distributors here in Ohio. There is the Mootz Run Tea Shop in Granville, OH which has, IMHO, a much nicer lapsang souchong tea than Teavana, and there is also Uncorked, a wine shop in Roscoe Village, in Coshocton, OH....both are self serve tea places, and I really enjoy their teas.

Top Bottom