What's new

What a difference a brush makes

Sooooo as a newbie I was a little skeptical about the importance of a good brush but I found out today that it makes a huge difference. I started out with a small starter kit brush I purchased at AOS and just upgraded to the C&E BBB after reading numerous threads and posts about it (and it was readily available at the mall). It is a great brush, and now I might even entertain investing in one of the top of line brushes due to the improvement in my shave this morning. It retains heat really well which is the main reason I was so happy with it.

2 months ago - I would have said one word "hogwash".

Now after owning the Rooney and Simpson Chubby 1 and 2 - I would say - "right on".

People don't realize how important a good brush is when it comes to whipping up good lather...

One can always chalk it to experience but i found that with my skill I got *better* lather with *less* effort when i upgraded my brushes.
My older brush was a whippeddog with the loft set too low. It has the backbone but it is *choked* and quite a lather hoag. With Mike's soap my vie long horse brush enables me to get better slicker lather. With dr harris cream, my duke2 works better.
I had a WD with the loft too high, it was floppy a bit but did produce a ton of lather quickly.
So on top of quality hair, there are a few very important factors that optimise the performance of a brush. It is not rocket science but you need some experience if you spec it yourself or just let the folks that have been doing it for a long time do it for you.

congrats pal. always a great feeling.
I've built 4 brushes (2 for myself) and my first was a new omega 20mm pure badger. scritchy but great for lathering up. I like my finest badger brushes a tad more (PIF'ing one soon) and looking to build a Silvertip soon for myself. Larger loft, floppier and yes I've discovered I like a bit of flop. Higher lofts. as you continue you will see why people have 2 or 10 brushes. ... well, at 10 it's more like a personal hobbyist thing going on. But you get my point. you learn the grades of hair, what work best with what ( I hate boars with softer tub soaps like razorock, proraso)

Yeah, a good brush doesn't have to be expensive. But it oftentimes will be. There is nothing out there quite like a Rooney Finest, and I'd have a hard time putting anything up against my chubby-esque Best's. But if you set it at the right loft, the TGN finest makes a pretty great brush too. And probably the closest I've come to lathering like a rooney finest is the $10 ecotools bronzer brush Loric sent me... if it were just a bit bigger and had any kind of face feel to it, it'd be incredible. Still, second fiddle to a brush that costs almost 30x as much isn't too bad in my book.

Top Bottom