What's new

Boiling a de razor

I was looking at a Fat Boy on eBay and the person said they had boiled it to as part of the sanitization process. To me this would be hard on any razor espiacally an adjustable. Would this be hard on an older plated metal?

I have boiled adjustable razors as well with no problems. I just wouldn't leave them boiling for more than a few minutes. I can see where the boiling may hurt the black paint in the adjustment numbers tho.

DL

It is not recommended for gold plated razors with lacquer still present or for any plastic or bakelite razors. But the Fat Boy is a tank and boiling it will likely have no ill effects. I soak my razors in water that has just boiled plus dishwashing soap, soak until the water becomes lukewarm then get out the toothbrush and paste. Bathroom disinfectant spray and more brushing once the caked on stuff is removed.

Personally i never boil with my razor in the pot. Plus all metals expand when heated. Obviously temps vary per metal. I would think if you have a hairline fracture on your handle or a handle that's thin/hollow it might expand worsening it. I'm sure someone will chime it and tell me i'm wrong but whatever (just my 2cents). When disinfecting I just microwave a cup of water to a boil. Add simple green solution and place my razor in. Let it sit for 1min then i'm done.

I've boiled a few particularly gunky nickel razors, the only issue was the paint on the numbers of my Fatboy faded. I don't think it would negatively affect any other finishes aside from gold and paint though.

It is not recommended for gold plated razors with lacquer still present or for any plastic or bakelite razors. But the Fat Boy is a tank and boiling it will likely have no ill effects. I soak my razors in water that has just boiled plus dishwashing soap, soak until the water becomes lukewarm then get out the toothbrush and paste. Bathroom disinfectant spray and more brushing once the caked on stuff is removed.

+1

A short boil for an FB is just fine.....No worries....

+1

aside the lacquer on the gold, would other plated metals come away and cause brassing because of the boiling process?

Not in my experience, only Gold is a no no as far as I've seen.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick to boiling the water taking the water away from the heat then placeing razor in. The original statement by the eBayer said "boiled for twenty minutes" a little on the harsh side for me.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick to boiling the water taking the water away from the heat then placeing razor in. The original statement by the eBayer said "boiled for twenty minutes" a little on the harsh side for me.

If he boiled water, removed the pot, then let the razor sit in it for twenty minutes that would be fine. If he actually threw it in a pot for 20 minutes that was on full heat directly on the stove, then I understand your concern.

Some people say "boiled for X minutes" when they actually mean that they let it sit in a pot of water that had reached boiling point, but wasn't still directly heating.

Top Bottom