What's new

Aggressive and Light Razor

I haven't used a DE in a long time but I'd like to have a reliable one around, if I ever need it. I'm looking for a vintage Gillette that's aggressive and light. I'm not a fan of gravity or inertia when I shave. I tried a Red-tip a long time ago and I was underwhelmed. What do you guys suggest?

You probably have to go with a New or New Improved, though I don't know if those are more aggressive than a Red Tip. Perhaps a Slim Adjustable or Super Adjustable dialed up.

A Vintage "Chessman" Slant is fairly light and is aggressive.

The common bar-handled NEW is pretty aggressive, and not heavy at all. The British version from a No. 77 set is also very light and aggressive. I had one and sold it because it was too light for my tastes.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
For the NEW, I think it depends on the handle...

My NEW with the fat handle has more weight than the Muhle Pinsel R89 (old model)...

I would follow Mark's advice and go with a Slim or adjustable. Same weight and if you pump it to 9, it takes 2 layers of skin!

For the NEW, I think it depends on the handle...

My NEW with the fat handle has more weight than the Muhle Pinsel R89 (old model)...

I would follow Mark's advice and go with a Slim or adjustable. Same weight and if you pump it to 9, it takes 2 layers of skin!

I just saw your thread about your custom Gillette NEW. I have a Merkur Classic. Perhaps a NEW razor head is what I need.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I just saw your thread about your custom Gillette NEW. I have a Merkur Classic. Perhaps a NEW razor head is what I need.

Yes Bob is very good and knows quickly what you are after. I think it took 2 emails and I sent him some money...:001_smile

That's a nice razor, Norm. It looks expensive. :blushing:

Well, I paid a bit more than I wanted to, and the seller's description didn't say anything about the wear on top of the head. I shaved with it this morning, and actually considered tossing all my other razors. :smile: Fantastic shave.

As someone mentioned, the british three peice razors, they are the lightest of all my razors, especially the thin handled one. They have 3 different handles, a heavy 'bulldog' style one (28g), a thick fat tech style one thats 22g shown in the bigger box, and a really light thin handle that's only 17g, (31g complete with head) shown in the smaller box with the PAL blade.
The lightest USA NEW handle I have is the common bar one that's 22g, (51g complete with head.)
So the british #77 or other 3 peice with that thin handle in the same pattern/shape as a fat tech is the lightest by far, you could always change the head on that handle too if you can't find the set with the more aggressive open comb head.

The lightest TTO razor I have is the black handled superspeed, 48g

edit: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1046812&postcount=5

Last edited:
Telly, you might try a 30s Aristocrat. Very classy, great shave. No, I'm not selling mine! :smile:

Good idea. I was leaning towards a NEW, but I do prefer the use of the TTO and looks of this. If it shaves as the NEW, (DOESS IT?) then I think that is the razor I'll be hunting in the opshops, fairs, antique stores (as well as look at some SE combs).

Good idea. I was leaning towards a NEW, but I do prefer the use of the TTO and looks of this. If it shaves as the NEW, (DOESS IT?) then I think that is the razor I'll be hunting in the opshops, fairs, antique stores (as well as look at some SE combs).

No, they're not the same. The Aristocrat is somewhat like the Old Type in that it has no blade gap, but the shave is still much nicer than that of the Old Type. The 30s Aristocrat is really in a class of its own, as there's nothing else quite like it.

Norm, it's on my list of safety razors to get one day. I use safety razor so sparingly that I'd like to go a cheaper route for now.

Top Bottom