What's new

Hello all! I have about two dozen DE shaves under my belt...

... and I think I'm ready to upgrade some of my gear.

A little background:

For my birthday, my parents bought a bunch of items from Art of Shaving on one of the their vacations. Included in this package were a Merkur Progress and and Art of Shaving best badger brush.

Between this site and Mantic's vids, I came into the lifestyle with a pretty good knowledge base intact. My first shave or two was uneventful save for a couple weepers, a few nights of razor burn, and stubborn areas of stuble.

After a while, I really improved my lathering game (again, THANKS MANTIC!) whether it be my Art of Shaving soap or Kiss My Face cream. I have eliminated my razor burn thanks to improved technique, Thayers, and alum block.

However, I can't quite eliminate those pesky pockets of resistance along the underneath of my jaw line. Switched from the Merkurs to Derby Extras which helped, but didn't solve the problem. I think my problem is that I just can't work that 30 degree angle along the problem area to save my life.

So, I was looking into a new razor with a more "traditional" blade angle. Perhaps a case of a poor carpenter blaming his tools I admit, but the wetshaving bug has bitten me anyway and my shelf was doomed to be filled regardless.

I have narrowed it down to the Merkur HD and the Merkur Futur. I know this topic has been broached before, but most of the debates I have seen regard someone just coming into DE shaving.

As much as I think I know about wetshaving, I'm sure a fixed blade would improve my technique and perhaps help elminate those final whiskers. However, I am used to dialing on an adjustable between passes, and really appreciate the control it gives me. I'm so confused... but I imagine I could always just buy both. :wink:

I'm still a good six weeks away from my comp time check, so I have plenty of time to listen to your advice (I already have a pretty good idea on the creams and soaps I want to try next).

Which brings me to my brush. While I really can't complain about the AoS brush, it's just kind of... I don't know... soulless. The one thing I will give it is it seems like it works pretty well with both soaps and creams, so I would like it's replacement to do the same.

I've read and re-read the reviews on this board, and am leaning towards the Kent BK4. My overseas friend has an Omega he swears by (the black and clear handled model) which is half the price. Again, I just may wind up buying both eventually, but I'm leaning towards the Kent for the initial purchase... if for no other reason because it's my last name. Very sound reasoning, I know.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ranting, and any guidance would be welcome! Great site, btw.

When it comes down to Futur vs HD, if you're having trouble getting angles down, don't even think about the Futur. The Progress you're using has a nice small head, as does the HD, but the head on the Futur is really big from what I hear. Large enough that it would make your neck shaving angles even harder to find than before.

As for "sound reasoning" you'll have trouble finding any of that here... we're all crazy to some degree or another. I am thankful my college student status keeps me from trying to buy a razor a week (or day) like some of us do :p

Oh and welcome!

... and I think I'm ready to upgrade some of my gear.

A little background:

For my birthday, my parents bought a bunch of items from Art of Shaving on one of the their vacations. Included in this package were a Merkur Progress and and Art of Shaving best badger brush.

Between this site and Mantic's vids, I came into the lifestyle with a pretty good knowledge base intact. My first shave or two was uneventful save for a couple weepers, a few nights of razor burn, and stubborn areas of stuble.

After a while, I really improved my lathering game (again, THANKS MANTIC!) whether it be my Art of Shaving soap or Kiss My Face cream. I have eliminated my razor burn thanks to improved technique, Thayers, and alum block.

However, I can't quite eliminate those pesky pockets of resistance along the underneath of my jaw line. Switched from the Merkurs to Derby Extras which helped, but didn't solve the problem. I think my problem is that I just can't work that 30 degree angle along the problem area to save my life.

So, I was looking into a new razor with a more "traditional" blade angle. Perhaps a case of a poor carpenter blaming his tools I admit, but the wetshaving bug has bitten me anyway and my shelf was doomed to be filled regardless.

I have narrowed it down to the Merkur HD and the Merkur Futur. I know this topic has been broached before, but most of the debates I have seen regard someone just coming into DE shaving.

As much as I think I know about wetshaving, I'm sure a fixed blade would improve my technique and perhaps help elminate those final whiskers. However, I am used to dialing on an adjustable between passes, and really appreciate the control it gives me. I'm so confused... but I imagine I could always just buy both. :wink:

I'm still a good six weeks away from my comp time check, so I have plenty of time to listen to your advice (I already have a pretty good idea on the creams and soaps I want to try next).

Which brings me to my brush. While I really can't complain about the AoS brush, it's just kind of... I don't know... soulless. The one thing I will give it is it seems like it works pretty well with both soaps and creams, so I would like it's replacement to do the same.

I've read and re-read the reviews on this board, and am leaning towards the Kent BK4. My overseas friend has an Omega he swears by (the black and clear handled model) which is half the price. Again, I just may wind up buying both eventually, but I'm leaning towards the Kent for the initial purchase... if for no other reason because it's my last name. Very sound reasoning, I know.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ranting, and any guidance would be welcome! Great site, btw.

I think your best bet for this is to pull up on your cheek with your other hand. This will move the skin from the jawline to the cheek for better angles. Also, I just started using an adjustable (Slim) and found that for my neck, I pretty much get a ton of irritation any time I do more than one pass at anything other than the lowest setting.

Good luck, and Welcome.

I think your best bet for this is to pull up on your cheek with your other hand. This will move the skin from the jawline to the cheek for better angles. Also, I just started using an adjustable (Slim) and found that for my neck, I pretty much get a ton of irritation any time I do more than one pass at anything other than the lowest setting.

Good luck, and Welcome.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Part of my dilemma is my neck is sensitive, any more than two passes will really irritate the skin. My greatest success with the progress has come from one pass at a moderate setting, second pass at a more agressive dial.

again, a third pass may be more feasible as I continue to find my way...

Top Bottom