What's new

Men's Suits

I know there are a lot of posts in the ol' Speakeasy regarding men's suits. But has anyone found a good on-line vendor of suits? I have a local tailor, so I need not worry about that!

Also, FYI: Jos A Bank has the buy one $199 suit, get the second for $99 sale! So I might just pick those up and not pay their super high tailoring costs!

I know there are a lot of posts in the ol' Speakeasy regarding men's suits. But has anyone found a good on-line vendor of suits? I have a local tailor, so I need not worry about that!

Also, FYI: Jos A Bank has the buy one $199 suit, get the second for $99 sale! So I might just pick those up and not pay their super high tailoring costs!

Keep your eye out on Jos. A. Bank, their sales are sometimes better then there sales from my observations over the last 10 years or so...

Menswear house recently had a sale buy one suit get one free. I picked up 4 good suits with alterations for around $1,000

It seems to me that when it comes to suits there are 2 primary points which differentiate one suit from another. One is the fit of the suit. Of course this is dependent on tailoring. But even a really great suit from a respected group may not fit you right, and there is no reason to pay anything for it. Always consider the amount of money you're going to need to spend on tailoring to make it fit you when comparing suits. A $150 suit that needs another $100 to be right is always a worse deal than a $200 suit that is perfect right off the rack.

The second is durability. If you don't wear a suit very often (a wedding or funeral once or twice a year for example) it would seem to me that your best bet is to find an inexpensive suit that fits you well off the rack. Invest a few bucks as needed for tailoring, and don't worry about it if after 20 wears it starts to look tired. By then you will have gotten 5-10 years out of it. If on the other hand you wear a suit regularly you'll be better off investing more for durability from the outset. Oh, and thread count is sometimes touted by online merchants as equivalent to quality. Thread count does effect the feel of the suit, but not necessarily the durability.

So when looking at suits you need to consider those 2 things. If you need a durable suit look at the better quality makers and find a suit that fits well. If you don't need that then by all means look at the cheaper options until you find something you like and go for it.

Jos. A Bank is a well regarded group, and I think 2 suits, if they fit you well, for $300 is a good deal. But I wouldn't want to invest that sort of money without knowing that both would fit me well with a minimal amount of tailoring. If you have a local brick and mortar store try it there, and if the price is cheaper online order after you know what you're getting.

Whether you get a $50 suit or a $5000 suit, make sure it fits. A bookeeper in a suit from Goodwill that fits looks 100 times better than a CEO in an Armani that does not fit.

It seems risky to me to purchase a suit online. I mean, even if you know the brand and size does that really mean it will fit the same way?

Maybe so. It would be nice to save a pile of cash on a suit.

I see Hickey's and Canalis and Zegna's marked down 50% online. I just don't have the cojones to take the risk. Yet that is.

It seems risky to me to purchase a suit online. I mean, even if you know the brand and size does that really mean it will fit the same way?

Maybe so. It would be nice to save a pile of cash on a suit.

I see Hickey's and Canalis and Zegna's marked down 50% online. I just don't have the cojones to take the risk. Yet that is.

I have never bought a suit on-line. I have to feel the material, try it on, etc. I have noticed that suits are not sized universally. A suit coat in 42R will fit on one brand and a 41R on another.

For the price referenced, and frankly for 3 or 4 times that, there are great suits available from Jeff at the Wizard of Ahhs on Ebay.

I own several of his suits and can say honestly that after my tailor had at them, they are spectacular. They will blow away an JAB or MW suit you will find, they will blow away 90% of any department store OTR suit that you will find as well.

Take a look on ebay and feel free to pm me if you want...you will find though that Jeff responds quickly and productively to your email questions. On the ask andy about clothes forums he is regarded much like West Coast Shave is here.

I went to JoS A Bank, but nothing really struck my eye...so I went to the Ralph Lauren Factory store. I found two navy suits, one with pinstripes for less than $450. Not too bad.

Check out Macys. I got an Alfani suit for $169 and a few Calvin Klein's for $250. Had to get the pants altered. For the price you can't beat that black Alfani suit for $169, it looks like it cost atleast a grand. I ended up getting 5 or 6 suits. I even got my dad 4 suits. Here are the links, the prices are a little higher than what I paid:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produ...D=43383&LinkLoc=1&LinkType=SiteAd&AdID=504685
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produ...D=43383&LinkLoc=1&LinkType=SiteAd&AdID=504685

Make sure you wear a long sleeve shirt when trying out the jacket. The jacket sleeves are longer without the shirt, but with it they get pulled back a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom