What's new

Hello B&B! First post of a reformed cartridge shaver

Hi all,

A little backstory...I got an extremely bad shave from a cartridge disposable 3 days ago and asked myself "Shouldn't there be a better way to do this?".

After a little googling, I was astonished to discover that I had fallen prey to the scam of believing disposable razors were an "improvement" over previous shaving methods. My dad wasn't around to teach me to shave, so I always assumed that everyone else was using the same stuff I was... I couldn't have been more wrong!

I also found B&B during this time, and was completely blown away by these forums. The amount of information here is astonishing! I spent the last 2 days pouring over everything before making some decisions on what to get... I'm not afraid to admit it was a blast to pick out shave creams and aftershaves to try out - I felt like a kid in a candy store!

Now I'm just waiting to get the stuff in the mail - I'm pretty excited to think I've turned a daily chore into a pleasurable hobby!

Thanks B&B!

As a newer member, I too know the feeling, I could never shave every day with a cartridge razor and a day after a shave my face would be full of bumps, redness and minor irritation. I was some glad to find this place or else I would still be hacking my face up with those over priced cartridges. This place offers a vast amount of information, reviwes, tips, techniques and advice. Just curious, what razor, soaps, creams, etc did you settle on?

Greetings! I too just joined B&B, but started using a DE Safety Razor about 3 weeks ago. Being somewhat obsessive and compulsive anyway, wet shaving is a great personal care regimen that is truly enjoyable and gives me yet another hobby, albeit useful way of spending time and money, searching for the perfect razor, blade, brush, soap, cream, and shaving process.

I too was wondering what items you purchased and from where?

I bought a starter set that came with a Merkur 34C razor, a badger brush, chrome stand, Tabula Rasa Shave Cream, and 10 Persona Blades from leesrazors.com. I also purchased a Starter Kit; Pure Badger Brush, Shave Cream, After Shave Balm, and Shave Oil from fendrihan.com, and some outrageously excellent Shave Cream from barclaycrocker.com, it is her own Vitamin E and Shea Butter Shave Cream. I ordered the Eucalytpus scent!

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry for keeping you in suspense! Here's what I got - to be honest I wasn't sure "who" to buy from so I just went for decent prices and recommended vendors. I also figured I'd go for a range of different vendors so I could rate quality of shipping/processing to find one that is reliable or outstanding.

• Razor

Merkur "Long Classic" (23C) from Vintage Blades, LLC

I chose this razor because the Merkur classic series show up consistently as a good starting razor, as long as you are careful and go slow at first. I chose the 'long' version as I'm a bigger guy and I heard that the longer handle gives a good balance that the regular classic is lacking.

• Blades

10 pack Feathers from Vintage Blades, LLC. These are going to sit on the shelf until I get some practice - their reputation made me interested but wary.

Sample pack from West Coast Shaving. $5 for a decent sample pack? Awesome.

• Brush

Shaving Brush and Stand from Duluth Trading

Chosen for best value on a Best Badger Brush - good brand and great price.

• Shaving Cream

Musgo Real and Proraso from Smallflower.

Chosen because they seem to stand out as popular, very reliable products. I got two to have some variety and so I'd be able to compare them against each other.

• Aftershave

Speick and Musgo Real from Smallflower.

Again chosen because they seem to be iconic aftershaves that are pretty much universally respected.

Aspect Aftershave Milk and Dagger Aftershave Milk from Saint Charles Shave.

I grabbed these just to add something a little more unique to the mix - the aftershaves are pretty modestly priced and I wanted to have something a little more experimental.

Whew - I get the feeling I've started down a path that is either terrible or awesome. Looks like I'll be crowding out my girlfriend's stuff in the bathroom in a month or two. :tongue_sm

Welcome to B&B, glad you discovered this great hobby :001_smile
Great choices to start off by the way :thumbup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom