What's new

C&E Pure Badger Travel Brush vs. Boar Brush

Hi everybody, I just joined last week, my question is that currently I use a Boar brush, I've read so much about C&E Best Badger brush, so I went to my local C&E to pick one up, they did not have any, they offered me the only one they had which was the pure badger travel brush, my question is it worth picking up? Is a Pure Badger Brush really that much better than a boar brush?

Last edited:
Since I didn't get any suggestions, I went ahead and purchased the Badger Brush, figured it was better than the boar, it was, I don't think I'll go any softer than pure badger, I kind of like it a little rough, but man it could hold heat and Lather, the boar, I could barely make 2 passes, with the badger it wasn't done till I was done. Now I know why all the hype on badger brushes.

i think your post has pushed me to go ahead and order a badger. using cheapest of the cheap boar hair right now it is pretty rough which is not bad but i do have to put more lather on it before i even finish putting lather on the first pass. not to mention it seems badger would lather up a bit faster than a sparse boar hair. thanks for posting this thread up for us other new guys.

You won't regret it, if you like the brush to be a little rough, go with the pure badger, it's much softer than the boar, but not too soft were you feel the need to put pressure on the brush, I almost purchased the Silver tip Badger from Crabtree & Evelyn, glad I didn't as I now know it would have been too soft for me.

I bought one of the C&E Badger travel brushes a few weeks back while I was traveling. The brush is good, my only issue is the handle, it's too small for my big meaty hands so I end up getting a lather all over my hand, which then made it slippery and even harder to hold on to the little brush handle. I am waiting on my Speik shaving soap stick, so with that I will face lather when I travel, so that will probably take some of the problem with getting to much lather on the brush away.

It's a good thing that you didn't wait for my input on the C&E travel brush. I bought one a couple of years ago and it shed right away. Not just a hair or two, it was a lot of bits and pieces of hair. Almost never full length hairs, just bits. To this day it still sheds at the same rate no matter what I do. I can only think that the hair is of such poor quality that it is breaking as it is being used.

It looks like I got the only lemon in the bunch. No body else has reported this problem.

Sorry for the late reply but you made a good decision. Badger is the way to go no matter what. I currently own a boar and it sheds like crazy, I'm in the tough process of debating which grade of Badger to get...

thought i would follow up and say i did order my badger off ebay just a bit ago and it was pretty inexpensive even though express shipping from china was x2 more than the brush itself. maybe not the best silvertip badger in the world but i figure it will be a decent starter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=280326528149

just under $40 with a week shipping time (opposed to 21 days for standard shipping)

seller is supposedly pretty well known around here looking up in brushes section so i am hoping this will be a decent brush. (if not i probably will not be able to tell)

Omega Pro. Boar brushes are great if budget is a concern. I have a few Badgers but I tend to favor my Omega......

I heard Omega Boar are pretty decent, I might check them out as I think I'll only go as far a Pure badger grade as I like the roughness on my face, I do have to admit, I love the lather the Badger produces :)

I have the same C&E travel pure badger brush. It's ok, not as good as my fullsize T&H silvertip but also far less expensive. I wouldn't be horribly upset if it was lost with my luggage. It's definitely better than any boar brush but as a previous poster stated, the handle is very small and super slick once you get some lather on there. The ivory colored one has a better shape to grip - the black one I have is kind of egg shaped and hard to grip. The trick to holding onto it is to grip it at the base of the knot with your fingertips. You'll have no trouble controlling it that way.

I purchased the Ivory one, because as some people stated the Ebony one has a football shape, so far I'm just happy it's miles above the Boar I was using, I might just try the Omega Boar I've read about or try one of those mixed ones Badger/Boar, sounds interesting.

thought i would follow up and say i did order my badger off ebay just a bit ago and it was pretty inexpensive even though express shipping from china was x2 more than the brush itself. maybe not the best silvertip badger in the world but i figure it will be a decent starter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=280326528149

just under $40 with a week shipping time (opposed to 21 days for standard shipping)

seller is supposedly pretty well known around here looking up in brushes section so i am hoping this will be a decent brush. (if not i probably will not be able to tell)

Please keep me informed, I've read about them too, if they are good, I'll just make the one I have a back up brush, thanks

Top Bottom