What's new

I Need Browser Help-FF3.0.7 & Opera 9.6

Okay gents. I am getting a bit edgy with my browsing these last two days. You may remember I posted some questions about RSS feeds and how to handle them. I am still none too convinced that there is a better way for light RSS reader like me than the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder in FF. Trouble is, FF2.0 is no longer available, no updates, etc. So I finally bit the bullet, downloaded FF3 and promptly remembered why I HATED that damnable awesome bar or whatever they call it. You have to tweak some stuff just to keep your entire bookmarked content, typed addresses, and searches from coming up EVERY TIME you type anything in the address bar. Excuse me, I mean Awesome Bar. Ahem. Alright, I fought my way through some of that and was just getting around to managing my bookmarks(low and behold that is different too)and hating the way the bookmarks menu is now loaded with a LOT of tabs and labels it did not have before when I noticed something. This thing is SLOW and glitchy. I mean it. It sits there and loads and loads, and loads. My RSS feeds take a LOT longer than FF2 and the whole thing is starting to be annoying. No going back though. FF2 is dead as free lunch. So I downloaded Opera 9.6 and started in trying to figure out a way to manage the RSS mess in there. Reading forum messages like email is a PITA. I like to be able to just scroll over the feeds in folder(they cascade in a list in BTF)and only reading/loading or whatever the one you want to see. Why can't this whole RSS thing be simpler? I don't want to have to make a bunch of steps to view them. Let alone have to delete hundreds of messages per day. Grrrr. Mostly I would like a way to SPEED up FF3. Help a fellow wet shaver out here guys. This is driving me nuts.

Regards, Todd

Well mdunn, that part is about the only thing that is the same. There is a Bookmarks Toolbar with the RSS feeds or to save space you can hide the toolbar and view the contents by clicking bookmars> then scrolling down to Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, then the list of your feeds will appear by name to the right of that folder. They appear with a folder before the name but it's superfluous. There is a ">" to the right of the feed name and once you place your cursor over the name, all the articles cascade down like a menu. Click on only the one you want or "open all in tabs". Not recommend since you could have a LOT of them. The really nice thing about this is that nothing is downloaded to your machine but the article headers. You click on the one you want and it takes you there. This is super nice for forum reading where there are hundreds of daily posts and you have no intention of reading 10% of them. Let alone 100%. So that continues to be fine for me. It is the address/search bar and mostly the agonisingly slow loading speeds. Opera is FAST but it does not seem to support as many Widgets as FF does add-ons and the RSS as email is abomination to me. I would imagine there are just as many who like it that way. Anyway, if I can configure Opera to work better with RSS my days with FF will be limited and that would be bad since everything is made for it.

Regards, Todd

ahh, I understand now.

im an opera user (one of the few, the brave). I dont use the rss feeds though - so im not much help. There are at least 3 other opera users on this board though, which is probably about 75% of total opera users anywhere. they might chime in with some solutions.

I found this to be the best way to get rid of the bookmarks on that annoying awesome bar in FF3. It only takes a few seconds.

Type about:config in the Location Bar, confirm you know what you’re doing by clicking on I’ll be careful, I promise! button. Then locate browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped preference name. By default, it will has the value of “false”. Double click on the link to change the value to true. Now, only typed URL will be taken into consideration in Location Bar.

Top Bottom