What's new

Please recommend me a good Rye

I'm about to go to Specs. I've got a nice Bourbon to sip on every once and a while, but I wanna try some rye.

You'll see lots of Rye threads here, and lots of recommendations. I have worked my way through a lot of rye lately, and I am partial to Russell's Reserve. Good neat and in cocktails.

Enjoy!

You'll see lots of Rye threads here, and lots of recommendations. I have worked my way through a lot of rye lately, and I am partial to Russell's Reserve. Good neat and in cocktails.

Enjoy!

Big +1. Very versatile Rye. Be careful though -- the Russell's Reserve Bourbon bottle is almost indistinguishable from the Rye at first glance. Take a close look at the label and look for the "rye" stamp towards the bottom..

(Edit: for our SotM discussion of RR and a few other Ryes, check this thread from a couple months ago)

start with Jim Beam, its as basic as you get...go to Sazerac or Russell's. end at (Ri)1, Beam's ultra-top shelf entry. Then go back to Beam or Sazerac. A client gave me a bottle of (Ri)1...pricey stuff, great though. I wouldnt buy it at the $48 they get for it...my brothers in law and father in law liked it enough, it was 3/4 gone in one family dinner!

I mix drinks with Old Overholt, and have been known to sip it neat as well. Not pricey, if you can find it.

Cheers!

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up getting Old Overholt. It probably won't last long, and next time I'll probably get Russels.

I also went ahead and bought some sweet vermouth and some bitters, to make a Manhattan. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. But, the rye was really good neat.

You should really try Templeton's Rye. It was around during Capone's time and is purported to be one of his favorites. Made in an unlikely place...Iowa! It has a wonderfully sweet, caramel finish! I love it!:thumbup1:

I bet Van Winkle does make some good rye because they make some damn fine bourbon. However, Specs (texas alcohol supermarket) hasn't had it in a few weeks and I'm tired of waiting. I need to find a good place to buy it online.

You should really try Templeton's Rye. It was around during Capone's time and is purported to be one of his favorites. Made in an unlikely place...Iowa! It has a wonderfully sweet, caramel finish! I love it!:thumbup1:

I agree, Templeton is tasty stuff. Maybe a bit pricey compared to the equally good Sazerac and Rittenhouse, but tasty nonetheless.

The Templeton Rye on the shelves now is not yet the product made in Iowa, which is still aging. There's been considerable speculation on the rye used to fill Templeton in the meantime on the Bourbon forums.

It's blended from Kentucky (and perhaps Indiana) Ryes. Scott Bush is mum about the sources, but the most likely candidates are Barton (Bardstown Ky), and what used to be the Seagram's plant in Lawrencburg, Indiana. Some of it could also be sourced from KBD (Bardstown Ky).

I've tasted the white dog of their own product and find it promising.

Roger

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Old Overholt - kinda harsh for my taste.

However, I LOVE Rittenhouse. 2 parts Rittenhouse rye, 1 part Carpano Antica vermouth, dash of Barrel-aged bitters, stirred and served up with a Luxardo Marasca cherry = the best Manhattan EVER!

Well I really like the Old Overholt Rye. However, I'm not so sure about the Manhattan cocktail. I'm probably not making it right, and I haven't had one anywhere else so I can't really compare.

Manhattan recipe
2oz. Rye
1/2oz. sweet vermouth
dash or two of angostura bitters.

Stir with cracked ice, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish w a cherry

Perhaps your Manhattan didn't get enough stirring with ice. Often times the dilution factor of plenty of ice-interaction can make or break a drink.

Good luck!

Top Bottom