What's new

New in the Game

Hello everyone!

1st, Thank God for this site! without it I would have probably given up DE wetshaving on the 1st try.

I have the HD Classic Merkur Razor and was unfortunate enough to begin my journey with a Merkur blade which produced way to many nicks and a lot of irritation.

last week I purchased a Sampler pack from westcoastshaving and have to say that I am very happy with their service. I emailed them and they promptly offered to replace the Merkur blades with another pack!

all this time I was blaming my technique (or lack of) for all my irritation.

Last night I tried the Derby Extra and funny thing was that I got tug WTG but none ATG :001_huh:. Now I can really tell the difference between a quality razor and a Merkur. Today I have no irritation, and my skin doesn't even feel like I just shaved :w00t:

My Technique
Long hot shower
Hot facial wash
Dry
Baby Oil
KOS shave gel W/plenty of water for a good lather
Niviea ASB
Vaseline (its a habit from my cartridge days since it always left me torn)

I have a few other razors to test but fear in tearing up my skin with the likes of 7 A.M, Personna (imitation? Red Pack), etc...

I like the visibility and cushioning of the gel but I know that KOS isnt the best out there. Recommendations anyone?

I'm constantly working on my technique and reducing the time it takes without even trying.

I usually put my IPhone in a Dock and let Pandora play while I shave.

Anyways thanks guy's! I'm really looking forward to teaching my son (whenever he comes along) how to shave with a DE!

Carlos_

Great. Welcome. Scrap the drying, the baby oil and the Vaseline. Just my opinion. And I use Red Pack Israelis. They are cheap on eBay and sharp.

Great. Welcome. Scrap the drying, the baby oil and the Vaseline. Just my opinion. And I use Red Pack Israelis. They are cheap on eBay and sharp.
Thanks GURU, I'll skip the dry/oil. Do you have any recommendations for a good gel? (KOS is ok but I know that their is a perfect gel out there for me).

Thanks GURU, I'll skip the dry/oil. Do you have any recommendations for a good gel? (KOS is ok but I know that their is a perfect gel out there for me).

A badger or boar brush with a quality cream or soap and watch your results sky rocket. Blades are weird, most here hate merkurs while some couldn't imagine using something else. A sampler pack will help you match the perfect blade. Watch all the Mantic videos on youtube. And welcome!

Welcome aboard Carlos. Asking for shaving cream/soap recommendations will get you plenty of them for sure. Best bet is to hit the review sections and read up. Some of the popular creams include Proraso (or CO Bigelow from Bath And Body Works...same stuff), Musgo Real, Taylors of Old Bond Street. Soaps run the gamut from Van Der Hagen to Tabac to who knows what. Spend some time, follow some of the threads and be willing to experiment. Experimentation is part of the fun of this new ritual.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Welcome - as a recently reborn wet shaver, my experience has been that soaps are easier, using a good brush, which is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish ..

Seriously, any brush & decent soap will be 100X better than Barbsol & a disposable

Welcome Carlos. I have to agree with others get yourself a good brush and soap/cream listed in the review section. Prep goes a long way in having a good shave experience. Enjoy

Having just started myself, I would recommend that you get a decent badger brush and a tube of Proraso (C.O. Bigelow). It's fairly easy to lather and very enjoyable. You'll wonder why you ever used anything else.

Top Bottom