What's new

Dark, Complex Rose?

I'm looking for a dark, complex fragrance with a clear rose note. So far, I've tried C&S 88 and I like it a lot, but I wanted to shop around before committing to a whole bottle. I've also tried Hammam's Bouquet, but I don't care much for it--the baby oil smell is a real turn-off. I want something that is masculine yet highlights the rose. Any ideas?

My personal favorite is Domenico Caraceni. Much more wearable than 88.
Then you can try Rose 31, Black Aoud and maybe Iquitos. Give Paestum Rose a try for a Mediterranean rose and Rose Incense by Tauer for, well, rose with incense.

Last edited:
Some excellent suggestions above.

May I also add

Rose Poivree by The Different Company....It is a beautiful rose scent with a lot of civet thrown in it that makes it dirty (read masculine).

Voleur de Roses is another fantastic rose scent with a lot of patchouli in it that gives it that 'damp earth' note...

My personal favorite is Rose 31 though....I am expecting my bottle of Iquitos in the mailbox anytime and I've heard a lot of good things about this too.

dark complex rose = voleur de roses by le artisan.

you may like it, although it is not for everyone.

+1 to both Paestum Rose & Le Labo Rose 31. Paestum Rose especially, to me, is a really interesting frag.

+1 on the Domenico Caraceni. Only I don't think of it as dark, or even a rose scent. Rose is in there and drives the compositions evolution. But it is very well blended, almost seamless.

Penhaligon's Castile has a rose note that seems more pronounced on some than others--some reviewers dislike it because it is too strong, though that hasn't been my experience. Would it be "rose" enough for you? I can't say, but samples are easy enough to get.

SCS Savoy Rose. IMO ts the perfect single note that wares the longest of any I have tried.

I own it, I use it; but not often. Probably because it is such a "perfect single note", while I've come to prefer somewhat more complex scents.

My vote goes to Le Labo Rose 31 -- it's not as dark as some, but holds its own, and still manages to play nicely with other high-quality fragrances.

Ah...too many possibilities! So many sound good.

Any suggestions about brick and mortar retailers? I'll be in New York and Chicago in the near future.

Ah...too many possibilities! So many sound good.

Any suggestions about brick and mortar retailers? I'll be in New York and Chicago in the near future.

New York:

Lafco, NY
285 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10012
local 212 925 0001
toll free 800 362 3677
Eau d'Italie (makers of Paestum Rose), Santa Maria Novella, Lorenzo Villoresi

Saks 5th Ave.
5th Ave. btwn. 49th-50th Sts.
Go to the men's fragrance store on the 7th floor (or maybe the 5th ... can't remember offhand). There's a WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF available there, including Castle Forbes products. There's also a Penhaligon's counter on the ground floor (and all of Diptyque's products are right next to it).

Bergdorf-Goodman
754 5th Ave. (@ 58th St.)
Lots of frags available here. Some crossover w/Saks.

Cambridge Chemists
855 Lexington Ave. (@ 64th St.)
This is the only place in the city (afaik) that sells Czech & Speake products.

Pasteur Pharmacy
806 Lexington Ave. (@ 62nd St.)
More shave & fragrance goodies. Castle Forbes, DR Harris & Trumper, to name a few.

Have fun!

New York:

Lafco, NY
285 Lafayette St.
New York, NY 10012
local 212 925 0001
toll free 800 362 3677
Eau d'Italie (makers of Paestum Rose), Santa Maria Novella, Lorenzo Villoresi

Saks 5th Ave.
5th Ave. btwn. 49th-50th Sts.
Go to the men's fragrance store on the 7th floor (or maybe the 5th ... can't remember offhand). There's a WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF available there, including Castle Forbes products. There's also a Penhaligon's counter on the ground floor (and all of Diptyque's products are right next to it).

Bergdorf-Goodman
754 5th Ave. (@ 58th St.)
Lots of frags available here. Some crossover w/Saks.

Cambridge Chemists
855 Lexington Ave. (@ 64th St.)
This is the only place in the city (afaik) that sells Czech & Speake products.

Pasteur Pharmacy
806 Lexington Ave. (@ 62nd St.)
More shave & fragrance goodies. Castle Forbes, DR Harris & Trumper, to name a few.

Have fun!

Add my favorite shop to the list:

Aedes De Venustas
9 Christopher Street
New York, NY 10014

phone:212-206-8674
fax: 212-206-8675

Add my favorite shop to the list:

Aedes De Venustas
9 Christopher Street
New York, NY 10014

phone:212-206-8674
fax: 212-206-8675

Indeed. Forgot about that one.

There's also the Le Labo boutique:
233 Elizabeth St.
(btwn. Prince & Houston)

And while we're at it, here's a place I've not yet gone but I've been meaning to get to:

CB I Hate Perfume Gallery
93 Wythe Ave. (btwn. N. 10th & N. 11th Sts.)
Brooklyn, NY

Open Tues-Sat. 12-6pm

Ungaro III or Czech and Speake no. 88

I'm glad you nailed the baby oil note in Hammam. I couldn't put a finger on what it was I didn't like.

Top Bottom