What's new

After Shave Balm for sensitive skin

Skin sensitivity is in reaction to one or more of many ingredients that find their way into shaving and other skin care products. The culprit is often in the "fragrance" or one of the named botanicals in the ingredient list. So there is no one "sensitive skin" or "sensitive skin balm" that works for all. Plenty of people on B&B have a poor reaction to Nivea. I'm one of them.

After some experimenting, I have settled on Burt's Bees Aftershave, which is a balm rather than a splash. However, I'm still looking for other options. I am going to keep an ingredient list for each product I try and see if I can dope out what ingredients I react to. This may or may not work, since "fragrance" in any list covers many things.

Last edited:
+2 for the Nivea, but as JB mentioned sensitive skin varies from person to person so some experimentation may be in order. Still Nivea Sensitive Skin ASB is probably a good place to start as you won't be out a lot if its not the right one for you.

I have been checking out some skin care product lines that more typically are sold to women, but are meant for both men and women. Fine with me if I like the scent, it doesn't smell stereotypically feminine, it does not linger...and it works. I am going to start using a Suki product, a moisturizing serum, in the next few days and test it out for a couple of weeks. Pricey, very concentrated, natural/organic type high quality stuff. I'll report back when my face has something to say.

Skin sensitivity is in reaction to one or more of many ingredients that find their way into shaving and other skin care products. The culprit is often in the "fragrance" or one of the named botanicals in the ingredient list. So there is no one "sensitive skin" or "sensitive skin balm" that works for all. Plenty of people on B&B have a poor reaction to Nivea. I'm one of them.

After some experimenting, I have settled on Burt's Bees Aftershave, which is a balm rather than a splash. However, I'm still looking for other options. I am going to keep an ingredient list for each product I try and see if I can dope out what ingredients I react to. This may or may not work, since "fragrance" in any list covers many things.

I've been using Burt's Bees aftershave recently and I am not sure what I think of it. The smell is merely OK to me and I feel a little greasy afterwards. I don't know what it is but it just feels cheap to me. It does do a good job moisturizing and doesn't irritate my skin but it leaves me wanting.

I'll reccomend Nivea as well. If it does not work well for you then you have really sensitive skin!

Also check out the Body Shop. I have not tried the Maca Root balm yet, the Arbor scented stuff worked well for me. But it is scented.

If you want to splash out a bit more cash then Clinique has a good product I tried a long time ago.

I think with ASB's you get what you pay for. I'm not keen on Nivea, too greasy and irritates. I have sensitive skin and the balms I can recommend are The Gentlemans Refinery, the best there is no doubt about it but its very pricey. L'occitane, its full of shea butter and appears heavy but soaks right in.
A new one I've tried is Korres Marigold and Ginseng. Its a Greek product which is totally natural (apparently) and is very light but moisturising. None of these products irritate my skin in any way whatsoever and do a great job.
ASB's are the one thing that its not worth scrimping on IMHO.

Try the Brut ASB. You may be surprised! No alcohol, mild, fairly indifferent ingredients, pretty easily available, and fairly priced. It does not go on greasy and has plenty of moisturizing properties to it.

Try the Brut ASB. You may be surprised! No alcohol, mild, fairly indifferent ingredients, pretty easily available, and fairly priced. It does not go on greasy and has plenty of moisturizing properties to it.

If you wear Brut in the UK its like saying "I'm cheap and I smell bad".

Another vote for AOS unscented. The TGR ASB is also highly regarded, and comes in an unscented version. I think samples of each are available from the respective purveyors.

Top Bottom