What's new

WTB: A Fountain Pen

Well I took the plunge and ordered a Lamy Al-Star (in Ocean Blue), a converter, and black pelikan ink...shipped under $50. Not too bad, but I am sure it will get worse.

Are fountain pens pretty much out of the question for left handers, being that the hand drags along the wet ink smudging and making a mess?

Well I took the plunge and ordered a Lamy Al-Star (in Ocean Blue), a converter, and black pelikan ink...shipped under $50. Not too bad, but I am sure it will get worse.

You've just taken the first step on the road to (insert ominous music here) FPAD!! Cangrats!! Fountain pens are great. BTW, those antique stores where you look for vintage razors, may also have some vintage fountain pens. Wander around FPN. It's a great source for fountain pen (both old and new) info.

Depends on what you are looking for. For a vintage, I'd look for one that's been restored. For a new pen, I usually recommend a Pelikan M600 or M400. I'd get them from Richard Binder.

Are fountain pens pretty much out of the question for left handers, being that the hand drags along the wet ink smudging and making a mess?

No. You might have to experiment with inks or a different grip. Some inks dry very fast, some not so much. Pelikan inks seem to dry very quickly.

You might want to look at Sheaffer. Also Waterman sells a wonderful starter pen. And it WILL be a starter pen! If you think you have aquisition syndromes now, wait until you get into fountain pens.

I'd start off at Richardspens.com or Swisher pens. Richards is ALWAYS my first choice.

In fact, go to Richards and get a Pelikan M200 with a FINE nib. Forget gold nibs and get steel. They write just as well. Richard will make sure your pen is right before he ships it. And a Pel M200 is a wonderful pen by any standards. It's also a piston fill, so you can write forever with it unlike a cartridge/converter pen with it's little bitty reservoir.

Any questions, ask me. I've been doing this a while! :biggrin: I have way more pens and inks than I do shaving stuff. And I have a LOT of shaving stuff!

Lamy sometimes makes a nice pen. Their nibs are VERY stiff and much broader than I like though. My Al-stars eventually all leaked - poor seals around the cc section. The 2000 however is an amazing pen. I have one and a Studio, both in EF nibs. Even the fine is way too broad.

I'm in the same boat. One day I'll break down and get the copper Newton.

I think I'm going to have to resume my pen rotation. I had a Parker 51 and Esterbrook SJ restored that need to be put through their paces.

Well I just bought the Rotring 600 Newton based off some of the reviews I read and well I liked the copper color going on ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330315265561

really liked the Lava design with an EF nib, but wasnt willing to spend $150 on a pen that would mainly be used to write a couple of checks a month and to carry around.

Look at the power of my thread!! Noobs like myself getting started, and seasoned users like Moose getting re-started!

Yep, a Lamy Al-Star in Ocean Blue (I originally got the fine nib, but called and changed my order to the EF nib), a converter, and black pellikan ink. Should ship tomorrow!

I'm interested in hearing feedback on how you like it. This thread sent me to the shelf where I found a couple of old Esterbrooks... and a Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen that I'd forgotten I had.... :)

I'm interested in hearing feedback on how you like it. This thread sent me to the shelf where I found a couple of old Esterbrooks... and a Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen that I'd forgotten I had.... :)

Ah, the VP. I had to buy a couple of them before I realized I hate them :)

Top Bottom