What's new

Horrible shave today.

I woke up late today, too late to be able to go through my routine for my DE shave. I had to shave and get to work, so I did what I would do up until a couple months ago: I grabbed my cheapo disposable razor and hit the shower.

I started trying to just glide it across. (I would never use goop before, just the water running over my face from the shower) NO GO. I had to keep reminding myself that I had to push into my face in order to cut any hair! I had to keep going over areas in order to cut any hair at all. While I was hacking at my face, I just kept thinking "THIS is what I was doing before? No wonder I hated shaving!"

I didn't try and even get anywhere close to a CCS, just enough so it looked like I tried to get some hair off my face. Gotta make sure to wake up early tomorrow to give me some extra time to savor what I missed today!

Sorry to hear about the bad start to your morning. I have only been at this a couple of days and I can already see why it can make or break a person's day. Hope tomorrow goes better!

I woke up late today, too late to be able to go through my routine for my DE shave. I had to shave and get to work, so I did what I would do up until a couple months ago: I grabbed my cheapo disposable razor and hit the shower.

I started trying to just glide it across. (I would never use goop before, just the water running over my face from the shower) NO GO. I had to keep reminding myself that I had to push into my face in order to cut any hair! I had to keep going over areas in order to cut any hair at all. While I was hacking at my face, I just kept thinking "THIS is what I was doing before? No wonder I hated shaving!"

I didn't try and even get anywhere close to a CCS, just enough so it looked like I tried to get some hair off my face. Gotta make sure to wake up early tomorrow to give me some extra time to savor what I missed today!

:lol::lol: Night time BBS shaves would do the trick (most likely)

For morning shavers, you definitely need to find the time for your routine now that you are a burgeoning wetshave artist!

The time it takes for a good wetshave takes some planning for sure. I have just started and I have already placed a clock on the sink just to remind me that I DO have other things, such as work, to do that day. I am a terrible morning person and the ritual of wetshaving has improved my outlook for the mornings.

Sorry to hear about that. On about my third DE shave, and contrary to the advice on here, I decided that I would switch up blades from a Derby to a Feather and shave in the middle of the day, hurriedly, instead of in the morning. My face has never burnt so bad in my life. I also nicked a small mole on my upper lip trying to go against the grain. It was horrible. I held ice cubes on my face on and off for as long as I could stand it. I even tried every single aftershave that I had, which is quite a few. After that I decided to never question the experience of the people on here. I swithched blades way before I had my technique even close to being right. I came back here and read up a little and watched some Mantic videos again and it hasn't happened since.

thats why I shave at night. Ive got as long as I want to play around with my shaving toys :biggrin:

This, for me, is the way to go. Nice music, unhurried, plenty of time for proper prep and focus. The shave I get is presentable well past the end of my work day.

It sets the tone for a great night's sleep....and there are nights when the smooth shave and the smell nice device work the magic on the Mrs....

I need to fit it in in the morning. Preferably while the wife is sleeping. I'm sick of explaining why I'm in the bathroom for longer than she is.

shaving a night can be good. granted you may not be super smooth when you wake up but you can wake up a bit later without worry.

also i'm guessing since you live in saratoga springs and its spring time you probably had to shovel your driveway.

My shave always starts with a shower, and I always shower in the morning. That was an anomaly of me not waking up, a matter of falling back asleep by accident while SWMBO took the dog out for a walk. I rectified it this morning! It felt good to get the brush and blade back on my face!

I used to set my alarm a little early so I could hit snooze one or two times. Now I get up at that earlier time looking forward to that shave. Some pointers that I think can help when you are in a hurry.

1. Sacrifice something else, like breakfast. Anyone know the nutritional value of left over lather?
2. Use a cream or soap you are confident with and quick to whip up. Its go time people, no need to experiment with those containers you're hiding from SWMBO.
3. Practice makes perfect. See what the minimum is that you feel comfortable with. Like I can get away with a WTG and one XTG and look very presentable in a short amount of time.

Sorry to hear about the bad start to your morning. I have only been at this a couple of days and I can already see why it can make or break a person's day. Hope tomorrow goes better!

I've noticed that my day (or rather my outlook for the day) is directly related to how good of a shave I had that morning. Somehow I think my wife misses that association. :rolleyes:

3. Practice makes perfect. See what the minimum is that you feel comfortable with. Like I can get away with a WTG and one XTG and look very presentable in a short amount of time.

I'm glad you said that. Including minimum beard prep, wash with Nivea Energy Face Scrub and a minute or so under a hot washcloth, making a lather of Mama Bear's Bay Rum soap on my face, shaving once WTG and once ATG, and finishing with Nivea Energy After Shave Balm and a splash of Old Spice I can be done in around ten minutes. Maybe not BBS all over but very presentable. I was going to ask if anyone else does it like that. If wife and I are going out or it's a social occasion, or I simply have time, I'll add an XTG pass and some blade buffing.

Top Bottom