What's new

How many shaves do you get from Derbys?

I started out using Murker blades and I just switched to Derbys.

When using the Murker blades they were good for 4 to 5 shaves per blade.
The shaves weren't that great so I switched to Derbys as they seemed to be very popular on the board and the Murker's seem in consinces to be poor quality blades.

So the Derbys are a great blade and give much closer shaves than the Murkers but I am only getting two shaves per Derby blade.....is this normal??

I draw the line at 3. Even if the third shave was great, I still use a new one after that. They are so cheap that there really isn't a reason to even try to push it further, IMHO.

i use them till they start to pull so it varies 4 to 5 shaves give or take but then again i only do 2 passes per shave anyways and i get an excelent shave

I have been giving Derbys a go as well. I have a Red Tip SS. Do you use one side one day and the other side the next or do you switch the blade around according to the number on the edge. For eaxmple (1) on Monday (2) on Tuesday (3) Wednesday (4) Thursday?

I have made it a habit to get 2 shaves and them throw the blade out. I have yet to find a way to get the metal recycled. I suppose I will save all the used blades in a box until I have a good few kilograms and find a place that'll take them for recycling.

I have been giving Derbys a go as well. I have a Red Tip SS. Do you use one side one day and the other side the next or do you switch the blade around according to the number on the edge. For eaxmple (1) on Monday (2) on Tuesday (3) Wednesday (4) Thursday?

Nope - life's too short to be working out how much area each face of the blade has covered... lather up, cut a strip, rotate the razor half-a-turn, cut a strip, rinse, repeat. Same again for 2,3,4 more days. Eject blade into blade bin. Start over.

I don't believe those numbers have any bearing as to flipping the blade over or how long the blade will last. I get 4-5 shave out of a Derby. If those #'s did represent the edges, i don't think I would take the time to flip the blade.

DL

7-10, but I wear a goatee so less real estate to shave per pass. I love Derby's. I have an unopened 100 pack, and I think I'm going to order a second 100 pack (just in case suddenly they stop making them). Should do me 4-5 years I would think. :)

Wow, I was amazed reading this thread, I go a full 7 shaves (1 per day) so 1 week before changing and I'm fine on my last day. I've always been lucky that I didn't have a heavy beard but I'm amazed that most folks have to change in 5 or less days.

Top Bottom