What's new

Any DE razors and blades which shave like Schick Injector with Schick blades?

Are there any DE razors with blades which shave and handle similar to my much admired and used Schick injector and Schick branded blades? There are several reasons why I am having a great time shaving with the Schick injector which I hope you gents can help me duplicate with a DE razor.

First, I have a beard and mustache. The Schick is small and light enough that I can easily maneuver the blade to only those areas on my cheeks and neck where I want to shave.

Second, I think the proper description for a razor which is not too hard to shave with to avoid cuts and razor burn is non-aggressive. The injector with Schick blades is non-aggressive. I would like a DE razor and blade combination with this characteristic. I remember that when I had no choice but to use a DE razor over 20 years ago I created a mess of my face with cuts and razor burn. I do not want to repeat this experience with a new DE razor.

Third, the Schick branded blades work in great harmony with the razor. I want a DE razor, which similarly works with a particular blade or blades as well as the Schick razor and blades work together.

Thanks so much again for all of your assistance. The information from this forum has made the daily shave something to look forward to rather than dread.

Having come to the injector via more regular DEs, I'm skeptical. The injector is a lot easier in many ways.

You might try something like an old tech or other not very aggressive light razor... don't go for a slant or anything described as "heavy" or one of those giant merkurs that look like buck rogers's razor.

I'm not sure what's new that shaves like that. Maybe the goodfella that shaving essentials has? But I haven't tried it personally.

-andy

Thanks for your response. The lack of interest in this thread tells me that I should stick with the injector razor as no DE razor will be as good for my particular needs and will not shave as easily as the injector does.

There are plenty of DE razors that work well with any number of blades. Not a lot of them are going to come close to the maneuverability of your injector razor. A Gillette Tech would be light, maneuverable, and non-aggressive.

They're very different animals. Schick and Gillette decided on very different designs and each of them seem to have worked hard to distinguish their product from the other. The injector blade is thicker and stiffer than a DE blade for one thing, and if anything, over time Gillette and others tried to get their blades to be thinner and thinner.

I suspect that the closest comparison you'll find is with a GEM.

Yes, I too use a Schick injector and have a mustache and a goatee. I also use a SE Gem all brass Micromatic Clog-Pruf and a Fatboy DE. But I use them all, the Fatboy the most and like that it is adjustable. I use a 5 setting, which is in the middle of aggressive/mild. I don't have any problem with any of them getting close as far as trimming to the mustache/beard. If you like the injector you should be fine with the DE. Just my experience.

Last edited:
The gillette NEW open comb is the best DE I have ever used, period. Especially with feather blades. I always got BBS with that combo. Since then I have moved to straights, but since I am not good at that yet the NEW still gives me a closer shave.

I asked Lee of Lee's Razors for his recommendation and this is it:

Merkur Heavy Duty 34C Razor
Personna Red Box Blades

What do you guys think of this combination?

As always, thanks for your assistance, it is very much appreciated and needed.

Personna Red Box Blades

Personna Red Box Blades

Personna Red Box Blades

The Merkur 34C is my favourite razor for its solidity and balance and I'd recommend it to anyone but it really is a very different beast to the Schick which I'm not such a fan of.

I think you'll find any DE razor very different from a Schick, and you may not ever get quite the same manouevrability: that said Merkur make lighter models like the 23C and there are some rave reviews of Muhle/Muehle razors on this site which are described as non-aggressive.

Personna Red Box Blades

As always, thanks for your assistance, it is very much appreciated and needed.

Me thinks Lee just wants to sell you a razor he has on hand. The advice earlier is good - that is a pretty hefty razor for someone who wants a light driver.

I agree with the advice on a Tech - some have nice slim profile heads that work well. They are also low cost because they are easy to find. (Meaning - they made ****loads of them because ppl really liked them.)

If you want to step back in time, the original old style standard open combs are surprisingly nimble. I have a goatee and find many DEs tricky to use and some dern near impossible for the moustache/nose combo. The old style single ring works great for me there - fits in real easy. But, that being said, I think your thread has convinced me to finally track down an injector cartridge for my Schicks - my nose may thank you!

Me thinks Lee just wants to sell you a razor he has on hand. The advice earlier is good - that is a pretty hefty razor for someone who wants a light driver.

I agree with the advice on a Tech - some have nice slim profile heads that work well. They are also low cost because they are easy to find. (Meaning - they made ****loads of them because ppl really liked them.)

If you want to step back in time, the original old style standard open combs are surprisingly nimble. I have a goatee and find many DEs tricky to use and some dern near impossible for the moustache/nose combo. The old style single ring works great for me there - fits in real easy. But, that being said, I think your thread has convinced me to finally track down an injector cartridge for my Schicks - my nose may thank you!

I hope so. The Schick injector with Schick branded blades is a wonderful device. I am getting fantastic cut and burn free shaves after less than 2 weeks from when I gave up on using canned shaving cream and a multi blade razor. Do not buy CVS branded blades or any others that have a cheap plastic injector. I love the injector's small size, light weight and easy maneuverability. I remember how different it feels from a heavy DE razor and love. I was hoping to see if I could get the same experience from a DE razor. I think my best bet is with the Tech or the razor you mentioned. If you get a chance, will you send me a link which shows a picture of the standard open comb style you have been having success with? I also hope someone will send me a link with photo of the Gillette Tech model which has been recommended. If I see them, I will know that I will be able to purchase the right one. Thanks all. You always give good advise.

Here is one on eBay - it doesn't look too great but as they are silver plated they clean up real nice. You might want to look for one in antique stores or used stores as they sometimes are too pricey on ebay. They aren't really all that rare if you keep your eyes peeled. You also need to watch for cracked handles as they can be common. A very small crack is pretty normal and doesn't affect the function.

You are probably better off trying to first find a tech.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Rare-Single-Ring-Variant-Gillette-safety-Razor_W0QQitemZ360141183298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360141183298&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

While the Gillette Tech is a good suggestion, I would recommend either:
a) a Schick Krona, which is a long handled DE with a slim head. Very mild (non-aggressive).
b) a Gillette Super Speed, a short handled DE with a slim head that is very maneuverable and mild.
b) a Gillette adjustable, like guru suggested. However, I recommend the Slim or Super Adjustables, as they have slimmer heads than the Fatboy. The advantage of an adjustable is that you can determine which settings give you an optimum shave.

HTH

Top Bottom