What's new

Baby Oil as pre-shave oil

I wouldn't use the baby oil/mineral oil as a pre-shave either. I tend to get good results with a thorough wash and a hot towel before applying lather.

You can still put the mineral oil to good use. Dunk your blade in the mineral oil after you finish shaving, then gently dry it. The oil will prevent soap scum and minerals in the water from adhering to the blade, making them feel smooth for much longer. I'm on my fourth use out of the same blade and with this trick, it still feels like new.

Bumping an old thread with a report of bad results using baby oil as a pre-shave under soap.

The prep:
Hot shower, applied baby oil with face still wet, applied PILS soap (vegetable oil base).

The result:
The baby oil ate the lather. Probably shouldn't be such a surprise, as some old household tricks call for baby oil to clean up messes such as chewing gum, and removing soap scum.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bumping an old thread with a report of bad results using baby oil as a pre-shave under soap.

The prep:
Hot shower, applied baby oil with face still wet, applied PILS soap (vegetable oil base).

The result:
The baby oil ate the lather. Probably shouldn't be such a surprise, as some old household tricks call for baby oil to clean up messes such as chewing gum, and removing soap scum.

How much did you use? If there's too much oil, the lather won't perform well.

Here comes my usual speech about pre-shave oils.

Pre-shave oil is one of those things that is an individual thing. Some find it helpful and some don't. For me, it has resulted in a better, closer shave without irritation.

I use either my own recipe or T&H pre shave oil. I have a very thick, wiry beard. Plus I have sensitive skin. I have been using pre-shave oil for years.

Pre shave oil is designed to give your skin an added layer of protection prior to applying a shaving soap or cream lather. Also, it acts as a lubricant and helps the razor glide over your skin. Additional benefits of pre-shave oil are that it moisturizes the skin and protects your skin from razor burn or irritation.

For a long time I put the pre-shave oil before I applied my first lather. Now I wait until my final, AG pass when I massage a small amount onto my face and then lather up.

If you will do a search on the site you will find countless threads dealing with this subject.

Top Bottom