Jup, another newbie. A Dutchie living in Sweden, and upto now shaving in the shower with a throwaway Wilkinson Quattro (whatever, the thing with 4 blades and fencing wires), no cream or anything and usually the blades are older than I want. Pretty hardcore (in other words: Stupid :)), but that's how it goes so far.
During the days I work in high-tech stuff (chip design) and I enjoy some lo-fi technical stuff on the side. That's why I prefer my coffee coming from a semi-automatic espresso machine, or my little moka-pot. Involves a little ritual, and just "adds" to the experience.
For some time I've been interested in making the move to straight razor shaving, for the same reason. So I've been looking around and finally decided to join this forum. So, this is my planned shopping list:
1. Dovo hollow-ground straight razor. Doubting between a rounded point and a straight one (easier to manipulate around the goatee thing)
2. Some strop, haven't decided what yet. Extra wide appeals for apparent ease in stropping.
3. EJ Best Badger brush.
4. Tabac soap, no cream. Maybe an additional EJ and/or DR Harris as well, later on.
5. Alun block! :)
6. Later on perhaps a stone for honing and of course the paste stuff and all that to take care of the strop.
Any comments are welcome of course. :)
And for my questions:
1) After shaving, what does one do with the soap in its bowl? Rinse it off, let the remaining lather base sit (and dry) for the next day?
2) Travelling with a straight razor, I guess it'll be check-in at all times? I fly regularly for work.
Anyway, thanks for having a look and fill up the thread with all the nonsense you want.