Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 edges -- I get it, Double Edge

Default 2 edges -- I get it, Double Edge

Actually I don't get it, and I'm hoping for some guidance.

I just used a DE, not for the first time in a long time, but for the first time in my life. My head is still atop my shoulders.

I noticed that on the blade (Merkur Super Platinum) the two edges were marked I and II. Is this so I can use up one side before using the other? Or perhaps to rotate each day? I never had much challenge concerning which side was which before. If I rotate my M3 180 degrees, I can tell after I shave that something was wrong.

All seriousness aside, I really am curious about the markings and about what, if anything, people do to keep track of which edge they are using.
    Roger

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must finish him."

***n L****
    PM a consonant, Vowels not available

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington
    SlagleRock solved the puzzle.

Images

I thought I heard this was done to make people ask questions. I can'timagine why it would make any other difference. BWTFDIK!
    Blake - A legend among the voices in his head.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    I thought I heard this was done to make people ask questions. I can'timagine why it would make any other difference. BWTFDIK!
    ROFLMAO! Hadn't seen that one yet! Me likey
    Kind regards,
    Jerry
    :badger:

Wouldn't you like to be a Gemocrat, too?

Sometimes I teach, but I am ever a student.

Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving with a pretty and well preserved body, but sliding in broadside, a beer in each hand, totally worn out and exclaiming WOW what a ride!

The markings mean nothing. Enjoy your shave.
    Shane - Member since 6-10-06

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    The markings mean nothing. Enjoy your shave.
    They do mean something. They just mean nothing to us. They are part of the QC process.
    Cheers,

Kyle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rogimoto View Post
    Actually I don't get it, and I'm hoping for some guidance.

I just used a DE, not for the first time in a long time, but for the first time in my life. My head is still atop my shoulders.

I noticed that on the blade (Merkur Super Platinum) the two edges were marked I and II. Is this so I can use up one side before using the other? Or perhaps to rotate each day? I never had much challenge concerning which side was which before. If I rotate my M3 180 degrees, I can tell after I shave that something was wrong.

All seriousness aside, I really am curious about the markings and about what, if anything, people do to keep track of which edge they are using.
    I always use both sides when I shave. There is no need to remember which side. I make a pass, turn it around, make another pass on that side, then rinse, and repeat. I end up using different sides equally during a shave and always using a clean edge.

LOL!

Hope Albuquerque treats you well my friend! I loved it there.
    Chris
    Steward of the B&B Clubhouse

the DE has two edges because 2 has more value than 1. In the early days Gillette was trying to compete with the SE blades, and they were charging people nearly $2(in today's money) per blade! Two edges were just thought to be more economical. You will see in their old ads: "12 Blades, 24 cutting edges, for $1". I doubt highly that the two edges (verses 1) were motivated by an advanced shaving technique.

Quote Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
    I always use both sides when I shave. There is no need to remember which side. I make a pass, turn it around, make another pass on that side, then rinse, and repeat. I end up using different sides equally during a shave and always using a clean edge.
    Thanks. I think you have gotten to what I was trying to ask.
    Roger

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must finish him."

***n L****

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington

East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
    +1 on that.

One more thing for the OP. Merkur is known for their razors and for their blades. Unfortunately they are only known in a positive sense for their razors. Toss the Merkur blades and get a blade sampler pack. There are several about but I think West Coast Shaving originated the idea so try one of theirs.
    Bob
    Somebody's nuts. I don't know whether it's me or them, but somebody is definitely nuts. I just wished I knew, so I'd know, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbya View Post
    They do mean something. They just mean nothing to us. They are part of the QC process.
    Merkur blades undergo a QC process? WHO KNEW?!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Paulsen View Post
    +1 on that.

One more thing for the OP. Merkur is known for their razors and for their blades. Unfortunately they are only known in a positive sense for their razors. Toss the Merkur blades and get a blade sampler pack. There are several about but I think West Coast Shaving originated the idea so try one of theirs.
    Actually I am just starting a sample pack from WCS. Merkur is one of 5 blade varieties in the pack. Maybe by the time those are gone, I'll have developed my technique to the point that I can tell the difference. Right now I'm simply in awe of how a DE slides over the skin, compared to my M3.
    Roger

***n L****

George Washington

East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Actually I am just starting a sample pack from WCS. Merkur is one of 5 blade varieties in the pack. Maybe by the time those are gone, I'll have developed my technique to the point that I can tell the difference. Right now I'm simply in awe of how a DE slides over the skin, compared to my M3.
    Ah, OK -- you're on the right track. Usually new guys that have a Merkur razor start with the sample blade that came with it, a Merkur of course!

I still say you should switch to something else (perhaps a Derby) before finishing up the Merkurs.
    Bob
    Somebody's nuts. I don't know whether it's me or them, but somebody is definitely nuts. I just wished I knew, so I'd know, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    the markings mean nothing. Enjoy your shave.
    +1

Those numbers on the blades are the crop circles of the DE shaving world.
    Limecat can never die!!! Unless he gets curious.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpotatochip View Post
    Those numbers on the blades are the crop circles of the DE shaving world.
    Should I conclude that this topic has cropped up before?
    Roger

***n L****

George Washington

Should I conclude that this topic has cropped up before?
    It sprouts like weeds.
    Limecat can never die!!! Unless he gets curious.

Images

...Or perhaps to rotate each day?...
    I actually tried doing this a few times, but found it impossible to keep track of. I believe one would need a special razor that only exposed one side or take drastic action like duct taping the other side closed. I thought this might be a good way to shave with a fresh blade every time while using half the number of blades. But it isn't practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Paulsen View Post
    Ah, OK -- you're on the right track. Usually new guys that have a Merkur razor start with the sample blade that came with it, a Merkur of course!

I still say you should switch to something else (perhaps a Derby) before finishing up the Merkurs.
    Bob,
    Thanks for taking an interest. I'm starting out DE shaving with a Gillette slim adjustable. I know its recommended to start with the Merkur, but RAD came early for me, when I saw the slim along with a gold, long black handle, slim adjustable on ebay.

I have seen various comments around and about B&B, concerning the virtues of the Derby. I am anxious to try them, they were #2 in line in my intended trial. As blades go, the Merkurs are kinda pricey.

I still don't know what I will like or dislike about a certain blade, but perhaps I will when I finish the sample pack.
    Roger

***n L****

George Washington

I got a pack of Merkurs in a sample pacl I ordered and own two Merkurs that were purchased for me as a gift, both of which came with a free pack of Merkur blades.

I started out with the Merkurs and thought they were good till the sample pack arrived, I then thought they were rubbish comparing to a Derby or Astra so did not use any for a year. I recently went back and tried a Merkur blade and now find that they are OK....just OK not great. They are expensive for what seems to be a mediocre blade and don't think I will purchase any. Nice to try for free