What's new

Choosing my 2nd brush

Hi all,

I need some advice about choosing my 2nd brush. I have been shaving with a DE and a badger hair brush for about 5 months now. I started off getting a few soaps and a few creams but now I am using my soaps more and would like a new brush that's better suited to soaps.

My current brush is a Edwin Jagger Medium Super Badger, which, from what I have read, is quite a floppy brush. When I lather my soaps up it seems as if it's quite hard work. On the plus side however, I really love the soft, floppy feeling of this brush against my face.

Any suggestions on a more suitable brush for me with to use with soaps that feels soft against my face yet still produces a good lather?

Thanks,
Jason

I use my Savile Row 3824 for both soaps and creams and I love it. I would recommend it without hesitation.:smile:

You don't mention a price. If you're willing to spend, try to find a 2008 LE in the B/S/T. Just an outstanding (and luxuriously soft) brush for soaps. A recommendation for a bit less coin would be a 21mm shavemac in finest or better. Enjoy SBAD!

I enjoy daily a Shavemac 585 (Retro) Silvertip D01 (Specs: 22 mm knott & 50 mm loft). It is heavenly. It has the potential to extinguish any further SBAD impulses. It literally made me become a face latherer using soaps 95 % of the time moving from a cream - bowl latherer mopping with a Vulfix 2233 :001_smile

Last edited:
The Rooney 3/1 is the perfect soap brush, and soap and cream, and comfort and value. Check the reviews, you'll see how highly rated it is.

Thanks for taking the time to reply gents.

I'm trying very hard to avoid SBAD as they're so expensive! .... and I'm getting married in 2 weeks time so I'm sure my better half will have something to say about my various RADs (Random Acquisition Disorders)! LOL!

Not certain about budget but I don't really want to spend more than £100 or about $150US.

I think perhaps approx 21-22mm knot and around 50-52mm loft. It would mainly be for milled soaps, bowl lathering for my puck of Trumpers Coconut and face lathering for my stick of Harris Arlington.

I guess Rooney and Shavemac are first in my thoughts. I'm thinking perhaps a Rooney in a "super" or a Shavemac DO1. Has anyone got both of these? I'm sure they'll both perform very well but what are the relative differences between these 2 brushes?

The Rooney is a safe bet, as is the SE 3824...I personally have a 3824 and a heritage stubby 2 and they are both fantastical brushes...painstakingly hand made for your continued shaving pleasure.

Steve

I'm getting married in 2 weeks time so I'm sure my better half will have something to say about my various RADs (Random Acquisition Disorders)! LOL!

Not certain about budget but I don't really want to spend more than £100 or about $150US.

Looks to me like the makings of a perfect wedding gift from your lovely bride-to-be. Perhaps a custom-engraved shavemac directly from Bernd would be in order?

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. May you live long and happy lives together.

I always thought the brush with a nacre handle that forum member Isbrodsky had custom made from Shavemac was a great looking brush. But you can certainly tailor the handle style & colour to whatever you prefer. Bernd has a wide variety

It was created with the specs you have in mind too. Apparently he paid $138.60 US for this beauty.

Check it out here under this thread: Hope this helps jl. :001_smile

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71733&highlight=SHAVEMAC+NACRE

Last edited:
Looks to me like the makings of a perfect wedding gift from your lovely bride-to-be. Perhaps a custom-engraved shavemac directly from Bernd would be in order?

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. May you live long and happy lives together.

Gruder thank you for your kind words. Inspired idea about the engraved custom Shavemac as a gift... bit too late unfortunately as she has said she has bought me something already.

I've done a bit of more research and although I mainly want a new brush for soaps, with both face and bowl lathering, one of the qualities I like about my current brush is the fact that it feels so soft on my face. It's just that it's a bit too floppy for generating lather. I know it's a compromise but I just think the Rooneys, from what I have read, may be a little to stiff for my liking.

I know I've missed out on Shavemac's great deal but I have contacted Bernd about getting a DO1 in a fan shape with 21mm knot and 50mm loft. I think the shortish loft should be good for generating lather and the fan shape should ensure that it feels soft and luxurious on my face.... I'll do some more research into how people have found their custom 21/50mm D01s.

I have a Rooney Heritage Medium Stubby (from vintagebladesllc.com) and LOVE it (especially for soaps). You could talk to or email Jim at vintage blades to get an idea of whether the price difference is worth it to go up to a Heritage. My other main brush is an SR 3122 which I like but definitely prefer the Rooney (at best it's a draw for creams and the Rooney's quite a bit ahead for soaps).

I don't have much experience with other brushes, though. I'm sure there are many other great options in that price range.

PS: If I'd started with the Rooney 2 years ago, it might have been the only brush I'd ever bought.

I've decided! I'm going to place an order with Shavemac for a 21/50mm brush with DO1 hair. Anyone know how long it usually takes to make and ship?

Take a deep breath. Enjoy the wedding. Wait for a few weeks or so before acquiring or planning for brush number 3! Most brushes last longer than many marriages these days.

I've decided! I'm going to place an order with Shavemac for a 21/50mm brush with DO1 hair. Anyone know how long it usually takes to make and ship?

Congrats! Email Bernd. Then be patient. It can take over a week for him to reply to emails. Once you work out the details and place your order, you'll have your brush in about a week or so.

-Andy

Top Bottom