What's new

Cool Option For Shaving Soap Storage

Don't know if it's been thought of before, or posted here, but I was at an antique mall and saw some nice metal German Army surplus "butter dishes" that I thought would be a nice way to store pucks of soap.

They were $2 apiece, so I picked up a few. Mine were from the early 60s. They're made of heavy aluminum, with a plastic inner dish and a rubber seal inside the upper lid. The top has a German eagle etched in the metal.

Cool option for soap storage. Pucks may slide around a bit, but the same is true for Tupperware.

proxy.php

I saw some of those in a surplus store here recently. I had the same idea, but the ones there were close to $10 a piece so I didn't even bother. With my soap arsenal, I would have been near bankrupt trying to store it all.

In the past with larger pucks of soap I have used some cheap glass ramekins that I purchased from Wal-Mart. They can be sealed with the accompanying thick tupperware-like lid. A ramekin by the way is essentially a glass bowl used to cook custard style desserts. I'm pretty sure that a set of 8 cost less than $10.00 when I bought it.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Those tins are quite cool! Very nice find sir!

I use a le creuset ramekin I've found at tj maxx and homegoods. I thought the green color really went with the scent of my cade.

I use a le creuset ramekin I've found at tj maxx and homegoods. I thought the green color really went with the scent of my cade.

Did you have to shave or melt and pour the soap for it to fit in the ramekin? I'm looking for the ramekin's with the lid so I can store and use as I wish.

Did you have to shave or melt and pour the soap for it to fit in the ramekin? I'm looking for the ramekin's with the lid so I can store and use as I wish.

I shaved about a quarter inch on the sides of the cade and let the shavings fall into the dish then put the puck on top and compressed everything.

Top Bottom