What's new

General Tso help

I'm looking for a good recipe for General Tso's chicken. I've tried some, but they never taste like the restaurants. Is there some kind of trick to cooking chinese food at home? I can never seem to get it right.

The only time I've gotten it 'right' was using the Iron Chef General Tso Sauce from the grocery store - works every time. :)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My preferred brand of chili sauce is Yeo's, which is a bright red.
proxy.php

Kimlan has a good one that's not quite as hot and a bit more orange in color.

you cant find a good recipe because one doesnt exist. IME each restaurant makes something they call Gen Tso', Cho,s or whomever's chicken. It seems to be based on tangerine/orange beef/chicken recipes in that it is a sweet spicy sauce with breaded and fried chunks of meat. For my money I find the best preparations go with sauteed white meat chicken and skip the breading. I would ask your local restaurant where you like the version how they prepare it and start from there.

Last edited:
If you really want home cooked to taste like the stuff from the take out restaurant, the secret is simple.... MSG and month old deep fry oil are all you really need:biggrin:

We had Thai today at work for lunch, specifically Noodle of the Drunk. I can't find a good recipe for that either! Every one of them is different.

I have the same problem with Hong Kong Steak.

There used to be a restaurant in Minneapolis called The Nankin. It is now long gone. They had a dished called Hong Kong NY Steak and it was to die for. It was marinaded sliced NY Strip Steak with some awesome sauce and various Chinese vegetables. I can only find two recipes on the Internet(s) and neither seems to be "the one". I can't find this dish at any other restaurant in town.

If anyone has a recipe for me, I'd be eternally grateful.

ouch

I'll confess to loving MSG. I think the nationwide campaign to rid Chinese restaurants of MSG years back was misguided.

ouch

you cant find a good recipe because one doesnt exist.

Sure they do.

For my money I find the best preparations go with sauteed white meat chicken and skip the breading.

I don't like to argue (translation: I like to argue), but General Tso's chicken simply cannot be made with chicken breast. Dark meat is necessary for it's deeper flavor and ability to withstand the brutal frying process, without which the chunks will not be properly enrobed with sauce.

I don't like to argue (translation: I like to argue), but General Tso's chicken simply cannot be made with chicken breast. Dark meat is necessary for it's deeper flavor and ability to withstand the brutal frying process, without which the chunks will not be properly enrobed with sauce.

I'll take mine extremely hot please...:biggrin:

Sure they do.

I agree, but disagree...so we argue!!! As I said, there is no General Tso's recipe, there is an axiom in this country that there needs to be this dish on the chinese restaurant menu, heavily breaded...deeply fried...gloppy sauced...sweet and spicy chicken. That dish, by default, gets called General Tso's chicken.

My local take out choice opts for sauted white meat sans breading. Whether it meets with your definition of General Tso's chicken is only subject to your scrutiny. For my money its a decent dish from a decent restaurant that I order maybe once every year or two. I could care less what they call it, or what definition it meets or fails to meet. Its healthier and sits better in my stomach than much of the crap I have tried that calls itself General Tso's chicken.

ouch

Funny, I thought I began my recipe with
This once proud dish has become a tasteless, sticky pile of glop found at every dump in town. A shame, since it's so easy to make a good version.
:lol:
I don't think we disagree that much.

Top Bottom