What's new

The Complete Sandalwood Cream Sampler

Almost.. The format for reviews did not allow what I really wanted to do and many of the creams have been separately reviewed in depth. But this review puts a bunch of my observations in one place.
Larry

My journey over a number of weeks has been to sample most sandalwood shaving creams or those that purport to have strong tones of sandalwood. My go to cream for a decade has been Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood, long before I started DE shaving. So it was unavoidable to not have a little bias in that direction.
Every cream was used for both face lathering with a Rooney Alibaba brush and bowl lathering with a Custom Shavemac brush. My shaving routine involves 3 standard passes and a fourth or touch up pass on my jaw and neck. Now the results:

TOBS- Fragrance pleases me with identifiable sandalwood, musk and just a hint of spice. Lingers the right amount. Cream is the consistency you would expect. Lathers very well, good lubrication. Price is reasonable for the good creams.

Trumper’s- Spicier, sharper, more floral than TOBS. Cream is a bit thicker. Lather is a bit richer than TOBS, but the lubrication seems about the same. More expensive with no real basis unless you like the fragrance.

Truefitt and Hill-Even spicier than Trumper’s Too strong, rather unpleasant on the nose. Cream and lather are comparable to TOBS. Pricier than TOBS.

Salter Indian Sandalwood- Not as spicy as T&H or Trumper’s, but more tones of cinnamon than TOBS. Took much more cream to make a good lather, but not as rich and lubricating as the three T’s.

Green Pond- Nice woodsy, not spicy aroma. Oriental remembrance. Stronger fragrance than TOBS. Rich lather and lots of it, good lubrication.

.........- No trace of sandalwood, just soapy aroma. Cream is thick, takes more cream than expected to lather well, but then the lather is rich and lubricating. This cream seemed to moisturize my skin more than any other cream tried; the soft skin feel lingered for hours.

Art of Shaving- Pure sandalwood, no hint of spice, lingering fragrance is clean but unidentifiable. Aroma is not as exotic as the spicier creams. Consistency is more fluid than the others. Good lather, excellent lubrication. Somewhat pricey but may be worth it for pure sandalwood.

Castle Forbes Cedarwood Sandalwood- Woodsy aroma, all cedar, could not detect sandalwood. After several shaves, the cedar aroma seemed too strong, penetrating. Consistency is very thick and takes effort to whip up into a nice rich lather. Easier to face lather as a soft brush leaves clumps in the bowl. Excellent lubrication. A little goes a long way but price is not justified.

D.R. Harris Marlborough- Aroma is light cedar with something a little floral. A touch of musk. Could not identify sandalwood unless it is the musk. Lighter fragrance than Castle Forbes. This made the most lather of any cream tried. Very rich lather, very nice lubrication. High price but all attributes seem to justify it.

Edwin Jagger- The purest sandalwood of all with maybe something botanical. No musk, no spice. Clean fresh lingering fragrance. Difficult to get the water mix correct, takes less water than other creams. This was the most lubricating cream of anything I tried. Expensive and hard to find, but nicer than AOS for pure sandalwood.

Both Penhaligan’s Opus 1870 and T&H Trafalgar purport to have sandalwood tones. I could not detect sandalwood. Both are very pleasant fragrances to me and the Penhaligon’s is an excellent cream providing lots of lather and lubrication.

Where do I end up? For pure sandalwood, I would pick Edwin Jagger and AOS, in that order. For more spice or musk I like TOBS and Green Pond, in that order. For something a little different but close, D.R. Harris Marlborough is a winner. Overall, it is hard to ignore the value of TOBS since it is about half the price of some of the other creams and provides a perfectly acceptable shave. But then maybe I am fond of its familiarity.

Last edited:
Thank you! Excellent review! Pretty much arrived at same conclusion after sampling far fewer. My personal favorite is C&E, now discontinued. When I run out I am going with TOBS.

I know this reviewed covers creams.

This is a mute point due to lack of availability, however I will give it a shot since I can best relate to the answer.

In terms of scent alone can anybody compare EJ sandalwood cream to QED sandalwood soap?

The AOS is a nice scent, but Im curious about the EJ product lines. Ive been hearing good things about them. Isnt the Green Pond base cream done by DR Harris??

I also read on the forum that DR harris does Green Pond, but I cannot confirm that. I can say that the fragrances and behavior of the creams are completely different. The EJ stuff is really nice. They sent me samples of the Sea Buckthorn and Aloe Vera although I have not yet tried them.
Larry

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to write it up. EJ Sandlewood is on my list, your review just confirms it.

I may be biased (since it is my favorite and soon-to-be almost only cream), but TGR has some Sandalwood element to it's scent, and contains Sandalwood Oil. Maybe you should give it a try??

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great Sandalwood review. I was thinking of getting a Trumper Sandalwood but seeing your comments vs Edwin Jagger... I will stick to Edwin Jagger because I know it... I might go down to a shop here in Melbourne to smell it...

I'd like to know, too. I've been buying mine from the English Shaving Company and am set for a while.
Larry

What about soaps with the pure Sandalwood smell?
Mama bear? QED? Edwin Jagger?

I bring this up because there are a couple of post asking very similar questions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom