What's new

Hello and Intro

Hi everyone,

I've just joined and I posted an entry in the Hall of Fame, but here's a slightly longer intro.

I've never liked shaving, and currently only shave once a week (on Sundays, for the rest of the week). Luckily, my job doesn't really require me to be clean shaven all of the time. A little while ago however, my interest was piqued when I read a post about straight razor shaving on one of the cycling blogs that I follow. Then, about a month ago, I had to buy a new pack of cartridges for my Mach 3 and finally got fed up feeling like I was being robbed every time I had to buy new blades. So, I decided to take the plunge into wet shaving and started reading stuff online. I found B&B about a week ago and started reading the forums, which was enough to really push me off the edge. I found a Canadian source for wet shaving gear (http://www.fendrihan.com) and bought what I thought would be a good starting kit: Dovo Shavette, 10 pack of Derby Extra blades, Pure Badger brush (Fendrihan store brand), and Col. Conk Almond soap. I'll probably be buying a real straight razor soon, but I wanted to start off with something less expensive. I also figured that the Shavette would allow me to concentrate on learning the new lathering and shaving techniques without worrying about honing and stropping just yet. I just got the package today, so I'll be giving everything a try this weekend, and I'll post an update to this thread after the first shave.

While reading the forums this past week, I also came upon a post by Mr Mockett about how he built a stand using a wire hanger. I really liked the idea, so I made one myself today. I rather like it, and it will tide me over until I get a "real" stand (if I ever do).

Here are some quick photos that I took after unpacking everything.

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello RogerM and welcome to B & B! I can see you are going to really be helpful around here. That stand is great.

Welcome. Great stand.

By the way, what is a Shavette? That thing that looks like a straight razor? How is it different, and how would it be easier than a real straight razor? (Sorry for the threadjack.)

welcome to B&B!!!! I've been wondering how the Dovo Shavette shaves with the Derbys....... also ssilcox makes some awesome acrylic brush/SR stands you really need to check out asap!!! $6-7 custom colors and laser engraving....you can't go wrong........ will check this thread for the DOVO update!!!!

Welcome to B&B!

Welcome. Great stand.

By the way, what is a Shavette? That thing that looks like a straight razor? How is it different, and how would it be easier than a real straight razor? (Sorry for the threadjack.)
A straight razor is made out of one piece of steel (you strop and hone it to keep is sharp); a shavette has disposable blades (just like a DE).

As promised, here's an update after my first shave this morning.

I tried face lathering, with a modicum of success. I might try bowl lathering next time to see if I have more success. I thought that my lather on the first pass was a little too dry, so I dipped my brush in some more hot water and gave it a few more swirls on the soap before my second pass, but I think I made it too wet that time. Anyways, I did two WTG passes, with XTG touch ups in a few places around my chin. The shave went fine on my cheeks, if maybe a little awkward (I have to get used to the new grip and movements), but my neck was nick central and it has some razor burn. I'm gonna have to go out and buy some ASB later; I can probably find some Nivea at a local pharmacy. Despite the problems with my neck however, my cheeks are already smoother with the two WTG passes than they usually are with my Mach 3. I can only imagine how smooth they'll feel once I feel comfortable enough to do an ATG pass.

Some quick product notes, although keep in mind that this is my first wet shave setup so I have nothing to compare against except my Mach 3 and Gillette foam:

The Col. Conk Almond soap has a strong almond/maraschino cherry smell in the pack, but the smell of the lather on the face is much mellower.

The Shavette is pretty light, so I think that might cause some issues since I have to apply more pressure than I think I would using a real straight (or a DE). I think I would also like it if it was a little longer, because I found that my hand was often in the way. Then again, that could just be due to my newbie technique.

The Derby blade was fine, as far as I can tell (again, nothing to compare against).

In closing, I can see that this will definitely be a journey. I look forward to it :001_smile.

Welcome. Great stand.

Yes, the Shavette is the quasi straight razor. It uses DE disposable blades (broken in half). I think that it makes it easier because I don't have to learn proper honing and stropping techniques right away since the blades are disposable. I can concentrate on lathering and shaving first, and then once I feel more comfortable I can get a real straight and learn honing and stropping.

welcome to B&B!!!! I've been wondering how the Dovo Shavette shaves with the Derbys....... also ssilcox makes some awesome acrylic brush/SR stands you really need to check out asap!!! $6-7 custom colors and laser engraving....you can't go wrong........ will check this thread for the DOVO update!!!!

Thanks for the tip about the stands :001_smile. However, I'm having trouble finding Canadian sources for wet shaving gear. The only one that I've found up to date is Fendrihan, and I'd rather avoid having to pay the exchange rate and cross-border shipping as much as possible.

Top Bottom