What's new

Tried the Blade Razor Focus?

Has anyone had any experience with this contraption?

http://gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/blade-razor.html#a65

I am beginning to feel an urge to try a straight razor, but am somewhat hesitant to go all out and invest in a real cut-throat right off the bat.
Also the stropping and honing just puts me off.

The reason I'm even looking in to this possibility, is the problems I have to get a smooth shave with a DE right along the jaw line. I feel restricted.

If this baby isn't what I'm looking for, maybe you gents have a suggestion for a good adjustable DE razor with a long handle? I have a Merkur HD and a Merkur 23 and while they both are fine razors and perform fine for the most part I just have to go over that jaw line for ever and ever from all angles to get the desired result.

Have you tried stretching your skin with your free hand? That way you can pull the area up to almost the cheek and get at those hairs hiding there.

Works very well for me. :biggrin:

jduffy said:
Have you tried stretching your skin with your free hand? That way you can pull the area up to almost the cheek and get at those hairs hiding there.

Works very well for me. :biggrin:

Kill joy! Must... have...new...razor! :drool:

What type of blades are you using?

And trust me, no one will try to talk you out of buying a new razor(resistance is futile!)- just trying to help with the jawline issue.

Marty

Trust me I appreciate all the kind advice I've gotten from members of B&B. This is like having hundreds of kind older brothers. Sorry if I was coming off ungrateful.

I have tried stretching the skin but the contours of my face don't want to play along.

I have about 200 Derby Extras sitting in the cupboard waiting to be used in one way or the other. I think they shave beautifully in my safety razors!

Wolverine said:
Has anyone had any experience with this contraption?

http://gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/blade-razor.html#a65

I am beginning to feel an urge to try a straight razor, but am somewhat hesitant to go all out and invest in a real cut-throat right off the bat.
Also the stropping and honing just puts me off.

The reason I'm even looking in to this possibility, is the problems I have to get a smooth shave with a DE right along the jaw line. I feel restricted.

If this baby isn't what I'm looking for, maybe you gents have a suggestion for a good adjustable DE razor with a long handle? I have a Merkur HD and a Merkur 23 and while they both are fine razors and perform fine for the most part I just have to go over that jaw line for ever and ever from all angles to get the desired result.

I use straights and DEs and my two favorite razors are my gold slant and that razor in black. Yes I have straight razors, including three of the thousand + dollar ones being sold by Lyne at the straight razor place. And this contraption gives me the same shave with far less hassle. Just be sure to go to the straight razor place and read up on shaving with one of these before that thing touches your face. It is NOT a safety razor, but it will give you a BBS shave with two passes or less.

Mason

rucker3 said:
I use straights and DEs and my two favorite razors are my gold slant and that razor in black. Yes I have straight razors, including three of the thousand + dollar ones being sold by Lyne at the straight razor place. And this contraption gives me the same shave with far less hassle. Just be sure to go to the straight razor place and read up on shaving with one of these before that thing touches your face. It is NOT a safety razor, but it will give you a BBS shave with two passes or less.

Mason

I just watched an demo video on google and got somewhat scared. Left handed shaving with a straight seems awfully risky. Do you have to switch hands when using a straight? I can't even pour a glass of milk with my left hand. Come to think of it I often spill, pouring with my good hand :blink: I forsee a bloodbath...

Thanks for the imput!

the jawline hasn't been much of a problem for me because when i do the neck i look upward and that seems to pull the skin that was once on the jawline down on the neck a bit so i can get to it.

on every pass that i do, i go sideways on my jawline and that seems to do the trick. and then it gets hit a second time on the same pass when i hit the neck.

You don't have to switch hands to shave with a SER. You will, though, have to figure out how to get your right arm & the blade at an acceptable angle on the other side without cutting yourself. Just like with a DE, too much pressure is a no-no.

Okay. Good to know since the hand-switching seems scary.
My grand father was two-handed. He could do anything equally well with either hand. Wonder if that comes from shaving with a straight...

You will improve with your left hand if you give it time - try taking a couple of passes on the cheek first.

As for your question - the style of razor you're thinking of buying is a good, inexpensive way to see if you want to delve further into the SE shaving world.

It really isn't that hard to shave with both hands. Most "handedness" involves fine motor control in the fingers, but straight shaving is mostly wrist and elbow movement, the fingers just hold the razor steady.

It feels wierd the first few times you do it because you're not used to doing anything with the off hand, but many (most?) straight razor shavers find that they're more likely to nick themselves with their dominant hand than they are with their off hand. My suspicion is that it's because it's so easy to get overconfident and careless with your dominant hand.

Top Bottom