What's new

What if you find your razor?

I think I may have hit the "magic combo" of razor and blade.

I'm never going to be a one razor shaver. I have to have the Old Man's Slim, I love a good Tech, and the 40's SS and I get along very well.

I'll try others, I'm sure. There are too many I haven't shaved with, and I won't pass up a deal on something new to me, but I'll never be a real collector. There's modern stuff to be tried, too.

There are probably a kazillion blades I might try, also.

But, right now, I'm thinking that as long as I have a Red Tip SS to use, and some ST-301 blades, then I really don't need another razor.

I don't think it's over, but my little wet shaving journey has hit a new stage. I got what I came for. Now I'm just browsing.

Anybody else have this happen?

Yes, it happens to all of us, sooner or later.

I see you've been a member since December '08, so you found your "sweet spot" rather quickly.

I joined in March '08, and it took me about eight months (and far too many purchases) before I figured out what works best for me.

Although I have a closet full of vintage Gillettes (some I never even shaved with) and a wide assortment of creams, soaps, blades, ASL, ASB, etc ... my ACTIVE rotation consists of just two razors, two blades, and two product lines at any given time.

I still experiment, of course. But the experiments are just out of curiosity, or to check out rave reviews that I've read here. I'm satisfied with what I have, but that doesn't mean I'll never try anything new.

It happened to me recently as well, I use my EJ Chatsworth most of the time now. I've still got quite a few others, and will probably keep most of them, but I don't need anything but the Chatsworth and a Derby.

I guess I was lucky too. Even though I just bought a slim, I think my preferred setup is the '56 SS and the Dorco 301 blade too. It seems whenever I pick up my SS, a good shave is bound to happen.

I've shaved with the same brush since @ 2000, and shave with just one razor. I change up blades occasionally, and sometimes switch between soaps and creams. That is as exciting as it gets. :smile:

I've found a set up that I like, but I'll never stop trying different things. I get too much joy out of the experience! Besides, what if the best one is the next one? :cool:

I use fixed head Merks almost exclusively. Once in a while I might try one of my vintage Gillettes, or my two EJs (Chatsworth and Diffusion), but my main rotation is the Classic, HD and 1904. The head geometry just works for me and I can change it up enough with the weight/balance differences of these three.

I *feel* like I've hit the sweet spot (Red Tip and Super Stainless "Spoiler" or Platinum-Plus NOS blades from late 70s-early 80s), but I know that there are many, many blades out there that I haven't even seen, let alone tried. I still haven't used a Feather. Nor the "Swedes". I've only tried one 7 o'clock (it was a yellow).

My RAD may have died down to the collection point, but I still have the itch to get more stuff if opportunity presents itself. We're hitting estate and/or yard sale season. There will be stuff out there. Somewhere. And I'll be watching.

I have pretty much settled on Slants, Injectors, and Gems. I throw a Gillette in there once in a while for giggles. For blades, I have used the Red IP almost exclusively since I started.

So far for me, a Superspeed and a red pack Israeli is about as perfect as it gets. I could use this combo and never look back. It's just that there's so much more to experience--even if they ultimately don't give me the same shave. I want to move on to my fatboy and redtip. At some point, I'm going to give my Rolls Razor a ride. Still need to buy an open comb Gillette from the 20's. And so on it goes.

To paraphrase the great Sammy Davis Jr.

There's Aristocrats just right for taking
And Fatboys all shiny and new
Come along 'cause time is a wasting
I've got a lot of shaving to do.

I can't see it getting any beter than Gem Jr. and an occasional Schick injector....but I unlike you I do suffer from RAD and will continue to collect and experiment.

I feel that I'm approaching a similar state. Since I tried one of the vintage Merkur Slants (from Chessman), I find myself feeling that most of my other razors are superfluous.

For me a Diplomat and a nice sharp blade such as a Feather or 7 O'Clock Yellow is the way to go. But I rarely even use that exact combination. I know what my best match is but I'm always trying something new.

I feel that I'm approaching a similar state. Since I tried one of the vintage Merkur Slants (from Chessman), I find myself feeling that most of my other razors are superfluous.

+1

Now that I have my slant, I can't see how any other DE could compare. I have totally lost my RAD.

In a few months, however, I'm sure the urge to get a straight razor will begin to set in. After all, once one can shave consistently well with a slant, where else is there to go but a straight??

Becarefull,the razor game is addicting always looking for that next great feeling you get from that special combo.

Top Bottom