What's new

What to expect with Groom & Clean?

Got some at Wal Mart tonight just out of curiosity. I like the smell but I haven't tried it yet. Two questions: is it good for "dry look" hair as well as "wet look"? And should the lanolin pose a problem for my scalp? (I ask this because lanolin shaving cream occasionally irritates my skin)

Thanks.

Not sure about the lanolin. What I found is to use just a little bit. The more you use, the more of a wet greasy look you will end up with. I have to put something in my hair every morning otherwise it gets all frizzy looking. I usually either buy this or american crew pomade. Hope you enjoy it.

Groom & Clean is not the best for the dry look and I wouldn't use it for this. You can pull it off but you have to use a very small amount. It is definitely best for a wet look and this is what I use it for. It gives similar results as Brylcreem to provide a well-groomed look without "fly-aways." However, I have found it gives even more shine and wet effect than Brylcreem. I can't speak for the lanolin, only you can figure out if it will irritate your scalp after using it.

I have to put something in my hair every morning otherwise it gets all frizzy looking.

I have the same problem. I have very, very thick, wiry hair (think John Kerry) and it gets dry and very frizzy. This is why I prefer the "old school" products because they tame this type of hair but don't dry out like modern gels because most of them have oil in them. They keep your hair wet looking/frizz free all day no matter what happens. When I have tried gels my hair becomes frizzy again after the gel breaks up throughout the day. If I don't use the classic products I have a big puff ball on my head as the day goes on and it looks ridiculous.

Last edited:
I used it yesterday and I liked it. I only used a small dab and it gave a deep "natural shine" without looking TOO wet. And it doesn't dry like gel (i.e. make my hair "bigger" by the end of the day).

Glad you liked the results Kevan. I have used it off and on for quite some time and it leaves my hair well conditioned. I have always told people it is best for a well groomed wet look. I usually squeeze out about a penny to a quarter sized dollup onto damp hair and it keeps my hair parted and combed back all day, using this amount I always have a shiny wet look for the entire day.

Top Bottom