What's new

Aggressive Razor vs Blade

I shaved with my 1957 Gillette Super Speed with Derby blades this morning. After using my Rooney with Merkur blades for a couple weeks there was a major difference - it felt like I was play shaving this morning.

I don't know how to tell if my Rooney was more aggressive, or if the blades made the difference. Either way, the result after 2 passes of shaving with both razors feel the same to me.

I tried searching for some clarifying info but it turned up a lot of posts that just mentioned "aggressive" relative to a specific razor. I admit to giving up after 2.5 pages of looking.

If I missed something in the sticky newbie posts and FAQ then I apologize in advance for the redundancy.

I shaved with my 1957 Gillette Super Speed with Derby blades this morning. After using my Rooney with Merkur blades for a couple weeks there was a major difference - it felt like I was play shaving this morning.

I don't know how to tell if my Rooney was more aggressive, or if the blades made the difference. Either way, the result after 2 passes of shaving with both razors feel the same to me.

I tried searching for some clarifying info but it turned up a lot of posts that just mentioned "aggressive" relative to a specific razor. I admit to giving up after 2.5 pages of looking.

If I missed something in the sticky newbie posts and FAQ then I apologize in advance for the redundancy.

If you got the same shave results with two different razor/blade combos, I would say the "aggressiveness" was about equal. The SS/Derby combo was probably smoother, as I have heard that the Merkur blades are rough.

I have been having less than stellar results with the Merkur blades as well, and it seems like the consensus (although I didn't know it when I bought them), is that they are not up to the high standars of their razors in quality. I am going to try the Feathers and Derbys next, since they seem to be the most popular around this site, with the swedish GE's and Israeli Personnas following closely behind.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom