What's new

What exactly is Brut Splash-On

I have a bottle that a family member got me for christmas. It merely says "Brut Splash-on. Original Fragrance." It makes no claims to be a cologne or an ASB. I've looked around, tried search functions, googled it etc and am still not entirely sure what exactly it is. Ideas?

I remember the old TV ads with 'Enry Cooper. I think he splashed it on his upper chest, saying something like "Splash it allover yerself!!!!". 'Enry Brut impersonations became a staple act for playground comedians in the 1970's as I recall.

It's exactly what it says it is, a splash on. It used to be called Eau De Brut, and was classified as an EDT whereas regular Brut was EDC. It was basically an alcohol based splash, a light version of standard Brut. Later Faberge dropped the "Eau De" designation and just called it Brut Lotion. When they switched to plastic they renamed it Brut Splash On Lotion.

It sits between aftershave and cologne in terms of strength. It can be used as an aftershave if wanted, but the reduced glycerine and increased alcohol may make it undesirable to do so. It's similar to what other companies classify as an aftershave/cologne.

It's exactly what it says it is, a splash on. It used to be called Eau De Brut, and was classified as an EDT whereas regular Brut was EDC. It was basically an alcohol based splash, a light version of standard Brut. Later Faberge dropped the "Eau De" designation and just called it Brut Lotion. When they switched to plastic they renamed it Brut Splash On Lotion.

It sits between aftershave and cologne in terms of strength. It can be used as an aftershave if wanted, but the reduced glycerine and increased alcohol may make it undesirable to do so. It's similar to what other companies classify as an aftershave/cologne.

I find your ideas interesting and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.:lol:

Seriously tho, is there nothing you don't know? I saw the "splash-on" bottle in the store a couple of weeks ago and had the same question. When I saw the title and the last reply was from "ClubmanRob", the first thought in my head was "I have my answer". Thanks for all the great info.:thumbup1:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Splash it orl ovah.

(warning: the above contains typical 30-something Brit humour which may lose A LOT in translation)

I find your ideas interesting and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.:lol:

Sure, but to subscribe to my newsletter, you'll have to agree to donate 30% of your income over the next few life cycles. But, you and Tom Cruise can sit next to each other when we board the galactic spaceship that will take us to The Master. :tongue:

Thanks for the appreciation. :001_smile

Perception of Brut is entirely dose dependent. In small, controlled doses it's not bad at all! I still use the cologne and aftershave splash occasionally, just a few drops is all it takes. If a drop too much is used, it's cloying and horrible. It's an herbal fougere somewhat in the same vein as Pinaud Clubman and is even more intense, so use very modestly.

From http://www.brutworld.com/products_cologne.aspx

Brut Cologne
Just put a little on all those important places.
The longest lasting form of Brut. Great for going out, and when you want to be noticed (in a good way). Available in 5 oz. easy-grip bottle.

Brut After Shave
Use it to tighten skin and close pores after shaving.
A moderate dose of Brut. Great for work, because it's strong enough to last, but not noticeable until someone you want to notice is standing close to you.Available in 5 oz. easy-grip bottle.

Brut Splash-on
The lightest way to wear Brut. Can be used on face or body (or both!)
Available in 7 oz. and 3.5 oz travel size, Brut Splash-on is perfect to use anytime you need a quick, cool splash of Brut.

I find that misleading. Going by the classification Unilever would seemingly have you believe that the aftershave is stronger than the Splash, and that's just not true.

Both have almost the exact same amount of fragrance, but the splash has more alcohol than the aftershave, which ups the Prop. Glycol (as a moisturizing agent) and loses some alcohol (carrier). Therefore, the aftershave may smell stronger out of the bottle, but the splash lasts longer on the body (theoretically).

I think that what Brut is trying to make out is that since the scent of the splash on is a more mellow and powdery scent, it is therefore weaker than the aftershave. That's not quite true, and I hate when companies try to "reinvent the wheel" when it comes to scent classification. There's so much confusion out there already when it comes to the "what's stronger?" argument, and stuff like this doesn't help.

Ahh clubman - I assumed the actual scent of the after-shave/cologne/splash on were all the same. But I found a small plastic bottle of my uncles old brut 33 splash on and tried some - this stuff smelled really different from my bottle of Brut cologne! More sweet, less of that single note barbershop note. I liked it alot but thought it was the Brut 33 that was dif and not the "splash on." But if the splash on I see at the drug stores was the same as that Im gonna pick some up.

Is it really a dif. fragrance - more light, powdery, mellow?

Brut and RightGuard aerosol deodorant were the predominant scents in my Jr.High locker room. Brut was in the late 60's what Axe is today...a kid's scent!

You can get Brut in Aftershave, Splash On, and Cologne at Bed, Bath,and Beyond. Prices range from about $5.99(afershave) to $7.99 (cologne). You can also get the splash and/or aftershave at Walmart. Don't know the price there, but probably is a little cheaper. Love it in small doses.

I had some Brut deo in high school, and I'm only 30. Shoot, they even plugged it in "House Party!" I can't stand the stuff now, however.

Top Bottom