What's new

Why is aftershave splash good for you?

I use aqua velva ice blue. I've always wondered why a alcohol based aftershave would be good for your face. Does it condition your facial skin? When you first put it on it burns. What are the benefits of using a alcohol based AS splash?

It's antiseptic, it tones and tightens the skin, it smells awesome, it burn like a man should burn....wait..uh...sharing too much again. Sorry.

I think there is some debate about whether alcohol based splashes are bad for the skin.

Regardless of any perceived or actual benefits, I'm of the opinion that if you enjoy them, use them.

if you don't have super dry skin they are just fine. if you get a cut the alcohol will kill any bacteria and prevent an infection. it firms your skin after shaving etc etc. the real benefit is when you put on old spice, brut, aqua velva or clubman the chicks will instantly dig you and knock on your bathroom door.

if you don't have super dry skin they are just fine. if you get a cut the alcohol will kill any bacteria and prevent an infection. it firms your skin after shaving etc etc. the real benefit is when you put on old spice, brut, aqua velva or clubman the chicks will instantly dig you and knock on your bathroom door.

They inmediately can tell one is a real man...

I use witch hazel, then an alum stick, followed by an ASB and the an AS or cologne. It's my time to enjoy, relax, thank G-d for making me a man and just to smell nice.

The alcohol disinfects and the burn lets you know you're ALIVE. I use Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Aqua Velva Musk, Old Spice, and lately have been using Murray and Lanman Florida Water Cologne aftershave (it's been around 180 years) which, when the 'afterburner' cuts off, leaves face feeling smooth and moisturized all day. It has a citrusy scent which dissipates fairly quickly. It has same properties as Witch Hazel. I use any of the aftershave splashes after applying witch hazel and tad of AS lotion of the day. Don't leave home without it. Most of us need all the help we can get.

Your question depends on the splash.

Some are nothing more than watered down colognes.

Some have all sorts of skin nutrients: Vitamin E, Witch Hazel, Aloe etc etc. The list goes on.

In the end, it comes down to what you like, what you dont and what SWMBO likes!

the alcohol disinfects and the burn lets you know you're alive. I use aqua velva ice blue, aqua velva musk, old spice, and lately have been using murray and lanman florida water cologne aftershave (it's been around 180 years) which, when the 'afterburner' cuts off, leaves face feeling smooth and moisturized all day. It has a citrusy scent which dissipates fairly quickly. It has same properties as witch hazel. I use any of the aftershave splashes after applying witch hazel and tad of as lotion of the day. Don't leave home without it. Most of us need all the help we can get.

+1

well,I dont experience that...maybe because Im ugly as hell hahahah I should try with Floid vigoroso to see what happens

. . . lately have been using Murray and Lanman Florida Water Cologne aftershave (it's been around 180 years) which, when the 'afterburner' cuts off, leaves face feeling smooth and moisturized all day. It has a citrusy scent which dissipates fairly quickly. It has same properties as Witch Hazel . . .

It is great stuff.

I only discovered it a week or so ago.

I think there is some debate about whether alcohol based splashes are bad for the skin.

Regardless of any perceived or actual benefits, I'm of the opinion that if you enjoy them, use them.

The various "gels" I have used offer a nice soothing feeling, and are probably better for your skin on some level, but I much prefer the bracing sting of a good splash of Pinaud Clubman, Dominica Bay Rum or even Mennen Skin Bracer. Plus, for my money, the splashes tend to have a more inviting fragrance than the hegher end gels, which IMO, can sometimes be a little mediciney.

There is no right or wrong and you should use whatever you like best. Now that this is a "hobby" instead of a chore (if you're on this site, I assume you have become a shaving hobbyist), I think it makes the most sense to have a few examples of each type on hand, and go with whatever suits you for that day.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom