What's new

First GEM shave impressions

The 'first shave with ___ razor' threads can get old, but I thought many of the merkur / gillette crowd may benefit from this thread.

After reading all of the hype about the Gem razors, I decided to stray from my normal merkur / gillette shave and give one a spin. I had acquired an old Micromatic some time ago, but was trying to hold out for my recently purchased 1912 to arrive before I tried the Gems. With 48 hours of stubble growth in place, I couldn't hold out any longer and decided to throw a CVS brand SE blade into the Micromatic last night.

After my usual prep, I started the first WTG reduction pass. The learning curve was very short for me, and I was able to get the proper angle down within the first few strokes. I noticed that the SE blade was giving me much more audible feedback than I'm used to with the DE's. After the first pass, I noticed that I had removed the stubble to a level that exceeds my typical first pass shave. Surprised, I decided to skip my second pass XTG routine and headed straight to an ATG pass. No problem. The Micromatic handled the remaining stubble well, and I was able to achieve a BBS shave after some touch up work to that second pass. The Micromatic felt much more agressive than my typical DE razor, so a light touch and proper technique are key. Those who are prone to razor burn will definitely want to use caution and try to reduce the number of passes made. That said, the Gems have worked their way into my current rotation and I am wanting to try other SE blades that may be of better quality than what I used last night. A Gem is an exceptional shave :thumbup1:

I bought a lot of 3 GEM Micromatics off eBay and just started shaving with them this week as well. Definitely more aggressive and definitely more audible than the Merkur DEs I've been using. Does anyone have suggestions for trying other blades? I picked up 10 Gem blades from Walgreens - does anyone know if these are coated blades? Is it possible to find sharper / more durable SE blades? It seems like the GEM with Walgreens blades tugs more as it shaves vs. the feather blades I've been using in my Progress.

Phil

Glad you liked it. They are definitely a whole different animal than the DE. You gotta love the singing of a Gem. I had a BBS shave with my 1912 Junior this morning. My rotation is currently a Micromatic, the aformentioned Junior and a Gillette Slim Adjustable. Of the three, the 1912 has quickly moved itself to the first string (although some still prefer the heft of a Micromatic). The DE, while still a very good shave is a distant second to the Gems (IMHO). Have you got your 1912 yet?

I recently scored a nice G Bar and have used it for a week now and enjoy it. They are quite a bit different than a DE, I do get remarkably close shaves with it though.

Have you got your 1912 yet?

If this question was directed at me, the answer is no. I purchase what appeared to be a very nice looking cased razor off of the bay a couple of weeks back, but it has yet to arrive. I'm hoping it will make it by this weekend.

sounds like a good start to me. you may (IMO) want to leave the ATG pass alone for a bit until you get your technique down.

The 'first shave with ___ razor' threads can get old, but I thought many of the merkur / gillette crowd may benefit from this thread.

Coming from a guy that has posted a few of those threads, I don't think they get old :001_smile.

Nonetheless, thanks for posting the results. I've also been curious about trying out an SE razor and found this encouraging.

...stupid RAD... :001_rolle

My 1912 came in the mail yesterday. Shaved with it last night, and actually prefer it to the Micromatic. Here's what it looks like after a little cleaning:

No, big surprise there, many prefer the 1912's over the Micromatic, myself included. Now you just need to find a lather catcher, now thats a great razor! :wink: :biggrin:

My 1912 came in the mail yesterday. Shaved with it last night, and actually prefer it to the Micromatic. Here's what it looks like after a little cleaning:

That one is a beauty, enjoy it.

One of the really great things about the gold coloured GEMS is that they're solid brass. That means you can polish them to your heart's content and because there's no plating, you never have to worry about wearing out the plating.

I don't know if GEM ever made any gold-plated razors, if they did, then what I just said doesn't apply of course.

After reading all of the hype about the Gem razors, I decided to stray from my normal merkur / gillette shave and give one a spin. I had acquired an old Micromatic some time ago, but was trying to hold out for my recently purchased 1912 to arrive before I tried the Gems. With 48 hours of stubble growth in place, I couldn't hold out any longer and decided to throw a CVS brand SE blade into the Micromatic last night.

After my usual prep, I started the first WTG reduction pass. The learning curve was very short for me, and I was able to get the proper angle down within the first few strokes. I noticed that the SE blade was giving me much more audible feedback than I'm used to with the DE's. After the first pass, I noticed that I had removed the stubble to a level that exceeds my typical first pass shave. Surprised, I decided to skip my second pass XTG routine and headed straight to an ATG pass. No problem. The Micromatic handled the remaining stubble well, and I was able to achieve a BBS shave after some touch up work to that second pass. The Micromatic felt much more agressive than my typical DE razor, so a light touch and proper technique are key. Those who are prone to razor burn will definitely want to use caution and try to reduce the number of passes made. That said, the Gems have worked their way into my current rotation and I am wanting to try other SE blades that may be of better quality than what I used last night. A Gem is an exceptional shave :thumbup1:

Great post, and what you said very much reflects my experience of GEMs. The Micromatic is a rather aggressive razor, and I find that two passes is plenty to get a great shave. I can often get a very presentable DFS in one pass and some touch up with a Micromatic.

Follow-up re polishing the gold-colored Gems. . .

1. What brass polish do you recommend? I have Simichrome on hand.

2. Does the info re brass with no gold plating apply to Ever-Ready's as well? I have an Ever-Ready Jr that's gold colored, and needs something more than scrubbing bubbles.

V

VR6ofpain

I noticed that the SE blade was giving me much more audible feedback than I'm used to with the DE's. After the first pass, I noticed that I had removed the stubble to a level that exceeds my typical first pass shave. Surprised, I decided to skip my second pass XTG routine and headed straight to an ATG pass. No problem. The Micromatic handled the remaining stubble well, and I was able to achieve a BBS shave after some touch up work to that second pass. The Micromatic felt much more agressive than my typical DE razor, so a light touch and proper technique are key.
This is the exact impression I received from shaving with a GEM Featherweight and GEM 1912. Unfortunately with a G-Bar the shaves were not so good. Well said!

Follow-up re polishing the gold-colored Gems. . .

1. What brass polish do you recommend? I have Simichrome on hand.

2. Does the info re brass with no gold plating apply to Ever-Ready's as well? I have an Ever-Ready Jr that's gold colored, and needs something more than scrubbing bubbles.

I have an Ever-Ready and it too is solid brass. Again, I don't know if either GEM or Ever Ready gold-coloured razors were made out of anything other than solid brass. I defer to Dave on that one. It just happens that mine are solid brass.

I have used Brasso with good effect, Flitz and I have no doubt that if Simichrome says it's good for brass then it would be fine.

Another advantage: given how powerful brass polish is, I can't imagine that it doesn't kill whatever bugs might be on an old razor. I think that Brasso really smells ammonia and I just can't imagine that isn't one of the strongest bug-killer out there. But that's just me, I've not seen any scientific studies or anything.

+1 for Brasso on all counts. Once my metal was shined up I gave the razor another hot dish soap bath to remove any possible lingering ammonia smell.

After my usual prep, I started the first WTG reduction pass. The learning curve was very short for me, and I was able to get the proper angle down within the first few strokes. I noticed that the SE blade was giving me much more audible feedback than I'm used to with the DE's. After the first pass, I noticed that I had removed the stubble to a level that exceeds my typical first pass shave. Surprised, I decided to skip my second pass XTG routine and headed straight to an ATG pass. No problem. The Micromatic handled the remaining stubble well, and I was able to achieve a BBS shave after some touch up work to that second pass. :thumbup1:

Jabo's experience is almost identical to mine. I ventured into the local Walgreens yesterday and sure enough, on the bottom shelf, next to the house brand DE's, were GEM/Personna blades. No way. Wanted to ask the clerk how many of these they sell, but didn't. After reading this thread, I couldn't wait to give my 1912 EverReady a try. What fun! Two passes - WTG and ATG - plus some touch up and I had BBS. The feedback was slightly muted compared to my straight razors, but very satisfying listening to the whiskers pop. Thanks to the threads here, I snagged an awesome razor that I wouldn't have guessed you could get blades for. Thanks, Gentlemen!

I swear my Micromatic hates me.

The GEM SE blades are usually pretty good to me, especially AFTER the 2nd shave. Maybe not the sharpest, but pretty smooth...and they seem to last me almost a week each.

Anyway, congrats on getting a GEM. The 1912's are great razors. I've got 4 or 5 now. Mostly Parade models (bakelight handles), w/ brass heads.

Still need to find a lather catcher.

I just had my first gem shave then, a #1912 razor with a gem bluestar blade.
Amazing!
I wasn't expecting much from the blade as I only get a good comfortable shave from a feather and I didn't think a generic SE blade would be good enough. But the performance and comfort was great.
I didn't prep properly either, no time for a shower, my sore thumb (cut by a straight razor) meant I couldn't get a good proper lather too.
But it was a lot better than my first DE shave, only a tiny bit of redness on my neck where even a DE gives trouble sometimes. No weepers or cuts which taking into account of the poor prep and the fact I can't hold the razor properly due to the sore thumb says a lot for the GEM.

Anyone who likes the ease and closeness of a feather DE shave on an aggressive razor should really have a look at a SE gem shave. It's really easy if you are used to the lightness of touch you need when using a feather and a red tip or an adjustable dialed up.

edit: I tried a pass with the rolls too. I spent hours last night honing and stropping that, but still a little blunt, so I'm dissapointed it's not sharp enough. Now that razor has a hard angle to learn to hold, that's for sure!

Last edited:
I love my gem, one of the best shavers I own. Im noticing that there is a slightly different technique with this razor.

Special thanks to Dave for getting my curiosity going.
:smile: and here is my silver 1912 gem jr ornate handle near mint.

Top Bottom