What's new

How many shaves per blade?

Pretty much brand new here - just joined. Completed my fourth shave tonight with the first Derby I popped in after receiving my Merkur 38C in the mail, and the blade was noticeably tugging more than it had previously. Is 4 shaves about right for a blade change? Or is it just that my technique is not good enough yet? Or is it possible that I'm not mixing the cream correctly to give enough lubrication?

You're going to find the general consensus around is here the typical 3-5 shave rule. That's most normally with a 3-pass shave technique. BUT, as always, YMMV!!

If its tugging you've gone one shave too far. I find my Murker blades suit me fine for 3 shaves (usually 4 passes each). YMMV but 3-4 I think would be typical.

It varies based on how tough your beard is and what blade you are using. Once you feel tugging with the blade, it is time to switch it out for a new one.

It varies based on how tough your beard is and what blade you are using. Once you feel tugging with the blade, it is time to switch it out for a new one.

+1

Check out the blade reviews to get a sense of the longevity of different brandes...but YMMV as always.

Welcome aboard!

For most blades I change after two, but I can get three shaves if I choose. Feather blades are the only exception--I can only get two shaves per blade out of them.

Given that I was paying around .30 US per shave when using a cartridge, I don't mind spending .05--.07 US per shave now.

Although each blade and razor wears the edge differently, you can get anywhere from 1 excellent shave with a blade to 4 or 5 decent shaves. But why push it? Although it is common for the 2nd shave with a good blade to be the best, why try for more than 3 unless you have a very fine or soft beard?

Top Bottom