What's new

Cigar question....

Currently I'm away from home. About three thousand miles away, and with out my humidor. I just aquired a box of really fine cigars, and am wondering if any of you gentlemen know of the best way to keep them moist without a humidor? i was thinking about gettingn a brand new ice cooler, and putting them in there, with a damp sponge while keeping them in the box...... Any ideas? Does that sound like a good one?

The cooler is a fine idea. I would use just a small piece of sponge and put it into a zip-lok baggie leaving just a little bit of the corner open.

Also, if your close to a cigar store, you can pick up a temp pack soaker for the trip. Cheap....

As a temporary measure, I think that is a good idea. Whatever you use for storage, you want to keep them in the original box, and then put the box into an outer container along with the moist sponge.

If you can get one, a temperature/hygrometer would be useful to monitor conditions and help to keep it close to the 70/70 ideal.

Depending on the humidity and other conditions where you are, perhaps an air-tight container like Tupperware or Rubbermaid might be in order.

Got that question allot when working in a cigar store.

What you can do is put the cigars in a Tupperware or RubberMaid container with a sponge the size of a quarter. Wet the sponge and just crack the lid a very small amount. Check on the sponge every few days or so for moisture.

Note: This is only a temporary solution.

David

Got that question allot when working in a cigar store.

What you can do is put the cigars in a Tupperware or RubberMaid container with a sponge the size of a quarter. Wet the sponge and just crack the lid a very small amount. Check on the sponge every few days or so for moisture.

Note: This is only a temporary solution.

David

I forgot about the rubber maid trick...good call, cheap at any dollar store too....

thanks, im either going to do the rubbermaid trick, or a cooler.... I have a humidor comming. Thanks for all the info.....

oooorrrr............ you could just sent them to me and I'll keep them... I mean, uh, look after them until you return.

:biggrin:

Just remember to use distilled water. I used the rubbermaid solution when I was on a business trip, and the cigars ended up getting moldy from living things in the tap water. :cry:

got it taken care of. I have a food container, that i bought at the dollar store, one of those tin things that comes with a cover, the box fit great, and I cut up a spponge real small, and soaked it in distilled water, then rung it out so it is just moist..... Thanks for all the advice. I am in a real dry area, and will be here for a long time. I kinda live on the road. I ordered a humidor, it should be in next week...... I may even get another box of cigars............

Top Bottom